The UFO is currently undergoing maintenance and is unavailable to be booked.
We will advise of it’s availability as soon as possible.
What is the UFO
The UFO is funked-out youth space on wheels; that is, the Townsville City Council's Urban Fun Object (UFO)! It is decked out with laptops, a giant LCD TV for gaming, a DJ system, lounge area, and much more. Look out for the eye-catching, youth-designed paint job and meet the crew behind the scenes who are there to help all young people of Townsville with whatever is needed!
The UFO program has been operating in the Townsville region since late 1997. It has been involved in well over 300 events and there are thousands of young people who have experienced the UFO. It was relaunched in 2008 for the Get Active in Parks program thanks to funding from Community Renewal, Department of Housing and Townsville City Council. The focus of the UFO as a Mobile Youth Space has now been shifted to include other user groups outside of the youth bracket to utilise the facility as a Mobile Activity Centre.
Booking the UFO
Training on the use of the UFO is provided for staff/volunteers from the organisation requesting use and there must be a minimum of three trained volunteers/staff onsite during event times. These staff must have no pre existing back or physical injuries or conditions that would inhibit them from lifting and setting up the UFO.
If children under the age of 18 are present at the event, all staff/volunteers must have a Working with Children Blue Card. At least one staff member/volunteer must hold a current First Aid Certificate for all UFO events.
If there are any cancellations or changes to the program or activity that the UFO is being used for the UFO coordinator must be informed on the supplied contact number, as soon as possible. Community organisations using the UFO as a resource in program delivery must sign the UFO User Agreement prior to usage.
Who can book the UFO
- Community Organisations
- Council Departments
- PLEASE NOTE:
- Factors that may exclude the UFO from attending are children’s activities (under 12 years old), school events (such as fetes and open days), high schools, pre schools, corporate functions and events that are not drug and alcohol free
- Priority will be given to outreach programs or activities that increase access of services to people who don’t have easy access to general urban or city facilities.
UFO Available Resources
- 3 Laptops with wireless internet
- Networked printer
- Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360 Kinnect with a variety of games
- Projector and screen system
- Large LCD TV
- DJ System
- Audio System
- Sports Equipment
- Arts & Craft Equipment
- Games Box
- Chill out zone
- Inside and outside seating
- 2 outdoor tables
- Inside and outside lighting
- Fans, window and roof ventilation for cooling inside the UFO
- Generator – able to supply all of the UFO’s power needs
If you require any further information, please contact Community Services on 1300 878 001.