CityLibraries: Connections for life.
Working with our community to connect people,
information, learning and lifestyle.
- How many books and DVDs can I borrow?
Borrowing allowance: up to 25 items in total, which includes up to 10 DVDs.
- Do you have audiobooks?
We currently have audiobooks on CDs, and will be adding downloadable
- How long can I borrow them for?
The loan period is printed on your loan slip. Normal period is four weeks, two weeks for high demand, DVDs and magazines, and varying periods for inter-library loans.
- If I haven't finished reading/watching/listening, can I have them for longer?
Yes! Renew your loans up to twice online or ask us for assistance (this will differ for downloadable audio). However, if someone else has reserved the item, you are not able to renew your loan, but may reserve it for later.
- Can I renew my books online?
Yes! Log in on the catalogue screen with your barcode and PIN to view My Details.
- The book I want is out on loan. How can I get it?
If an item is held by another branch, or is listed as 'on loan' on the catalogue, you can reserve it. Click on 'place reservation' and select the relevant pickup location.
- You don't have the book I want. Can you get it for me?
If we don't have the item you want, please request it and we will try to obtain it for you, either through an inter-library loan
or by considering it for the collection. Request it online (through Services), or ask staff for assistance.
Please include as much relevant information as possible in your request.
- I want to go online to keep track of the books I read. How do I do that?
Keep track of the books you read, and interact with other readers on LibraryThing or GoodReads or use My Saved Lists for
- I need help using internet and email. Can you help?
Yes! Ask us about our basic internet and email classes available at all branches, or ask us for general assistance.
- Can I bring my laptop to the library?
Yes! All public libraries have free wireless internet hotspots, and all have comfortable spaces for you to work on your laptop, or on our computers.
- What activities do you have on at the library?
CityLibraries Townsville runs activities and programs year-round. Check the Learn Discover Connect booklet or our Events calendar.
- I need some information. Who do I contact?
Ask staff at any of our branches about your information request, or email us or tweet us.
- I want to find out more about Townsville's history. Can you help?
Yes! Contact staff at the Local Collection in CityLibraries Flinders Street, or search our resources.
- I usually use the Aitkenvale library. Can I borrow books from Flinders Street library?
Yes! CityLibraries has three branches and a mobile service. Membership allows you access to the collections and services of all of these. You can borrow items from and return items to any of our libraries.
- When is the library open?
CityLibraries is always open online. Check our opening hours here.
- Where is the library?
Find your local library and the mobile library route here. And on Googlemaps.
- How can I join the library?
You can join the library online or when you visit. Find out more information on our Become a Member page.
Did you know?
- Townsville was the first city in Queensland to open a free public library, in 1938.
- Aitkenvale library was opened in 1971.
- The Mobile library was established in 1981.
- Thuringowa library opened in 1985.
- Queensland's first Home Service was established in Townsville in 1990.
- After various moves, the city library moved to its current location in Flinders Street in 2003.
- After amalgamation in March 2008, Townsville and Thuringowa library services again became one.
- Read The History of the Townsville Library Service by Richard Sayers
For more information, please ask your friendly staff at CityLibraries.