Membership is free for all permanent residents and ratepayers of Townsville as well as to other Queensland residents. Please show identification displaying your address (e.g. Drivers' Licence, rates notice).
Young people (under the age of 18) are encouraged to join as members. You require the permission of your parent or caregiver, with appropriate address identification. Check out the Children's and Teens pages to discover what the library has for you.
Visitors and temporary residents are welcome to join the library for a one-off membership fee which allows access to full membership benefits. Access Schedule of Fees.
Membership is not required for some library services, but we encourage you to explore this website to discover the many lifelong benefits of library membership!
Join online or visit a CityLibraries branch.
- Complete an online membership registration form
- Nominate a PIN to access our online service and to use library computers
- Show identification when joining at a branch to be issued with a membership card
This card must be presented when borrowing, and booking a library computer.
- If you've joined online and just want to use the databases from home, you don't need a physical library card
Information Privacy is important to CityLibraries Townsville. Find out more here.
You may borrow up to 25 items from CityLibraries collection
- standard loan period is four weeks
- with up to 10 DVDs, magazines and high demand items for two weeks
- use the self-service machines and you will have more time to read, and to meet with friends
- returns chutes are available at all CityLibraries branches for after hours returns.
For more information, please ask your friendly staff at CityLibraries.