The Three R's
Following the three R's rule is the best way to combat waste and help the enviroment.
Waste has major environmental and economic impacts. It affects everybody, everyday. From simple choices we make when shopping, to the way we use items and ultimately to the items we throw away. Reducing your waste is simple; it just takes a little thought and organisation. How many of these ideas can you put in place at your home?
- Start a worm farm (the kids will love it!)
- Make or purchase your own compost bin (the garden will love you for it!)
- Take a re-usable bag when you go shopping - avoid plastic bags
- Avoid buying disposable goods
- Buy in bulk to reduce packaging
- Put a 'no junk mail' sticker on your letterbox
- Buy for durability, not disposability
- Buy only what you need
- Make fewer printer copies and print on both sides
- Use recycled printing paper
- Swap magazines and books with friends and family
- Give away old furniture, clothes and toys to charity
- Reuse materials such as demolition materials where possible
- Use reusable envelopes for interoffice mail
- Re-use containers for storing food or other materials
- Paper, cardboard, cartons and many more items
- Recycle batteries, mobile phones and printer and toner cartridges at designated centres (not in your yellow-lid bin)
For more information on recyeling and keeping our country clean visit these websites.
For more information, please phone the Customer Service Centre on 1300 878 001 or send an email to Townsville Waste.