The council is in the process of implementing new parking options in the city.
Key features of the plan include:
- Providing 112 free all day car parks at the corner of Eyre and Leichhardt Streets, North Ward
- Expanding Dean Street car park to 1000 free all day bays when it reaches current capacity of 650 spaces.
- Providing up to 400 all day free car parks in conjunction with Queensland Rail on land near the old railway station at Flinders Street West.
- Launching the expanded Redbus inner-city loop 25-minute service. Council will contribute $60,000 for the service from parking revenue. Service will be co-funded with Sunbus and State Government and include stops at Dean St, Stanley St, Flinders St Mall, Flinders St East, The Strand and ferry terminal on Sir Leslie Thiess Drive.
- Expanding operation of the 10-minute shuttle service from Dean St to CBD via the old railway station in Flinders Street West.
- The conversion in April 2010 of short-term parking in CBD to regulated $1 per hour parking with pay and display machines.
- Encouraging private land owners in the CBD to provide temporary car parks.