Complaints & Claims

Lodging a complaint with council

If you have an issue or concern about the services, decisions or actions of council, we would like to hear about it.

Are you reporting a pot hole or damage to our local roads network? Go to our Report a Problem page.

Complaints management system

Council is committed to a complaints management process which ensures the effective, transparent and timely resolution of complaints. Your comments provide us with valuable feedback to allow for continuous customer service improvement.

All you have to do is let us know about your complaint and we will direct your concern to the department best able to deal with it.

For further information, download a copy of our Complaints Management Policy and Complaints Management Procedure.

To lodge a complaint, please complete our online complaints form or download the Complaints Form to lodge your complaint.

For more information, please contact the Customer Service Centre on 13 48 10.

Further Information

On 1 December 2009 the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) commenced.  The new QCAT website can be located at

Making an insurance claim

If you have sustained damage to your property or an injury to your person and believe that Council is responsible for this injury or damage, please forward an Incident Report - Letter of Demand to council.

Your Incident Report - Letter of Demand should provide as much information as possible and detail the nature of the incident such as the date, time and location, the damage or injury sustained and the basis upon which you are holding Council responsible. A minimum of two (2) quotations should be provided for claims relating to damage to property and a claim should be made on your own insurer in the first instance.

For all claims

Please include as much detail as possible when completing the form and ensure that a current postal address and phone number are provided.

You will receive an acknowledgement of receipt of your claim with a corresponding reference number from council or it’s representative. Please quote this number on any further correspondence sent to council or its representative or if any further contact is made with council regarding your claim.

Once your claim has been thoroughly investigated you will be notified of the outcome of your claim. If council or its representative determines that it is liable for the damage sustained, it will arrange for reimbursement of costs associated with the repair to your property or person. Reimbursement will only be made to you for the cheapest quote.

You can either complete your incident report online or download an incident report form.

Return forms to:

Mail: PO Box 1268, Townsville QLD 4810