Acting Chief Executive Officer
Townsville City Council Acting CEO Mike Chiodo has over 30 years of Senior Management and Leadership experience in both the Private and Public Sector in Queensland, New South Wales, South Australia and the Northern Territory.
Most recently Director, Infrastructure and Operations at Townsville City Council, Mike played a key strategic role, and was the driving force behind projects such as:
- Oversight and leadership of Council’s 3-point water security solution which includes:
- The new 1.8-metre diameter pipeline
- A recycled water reuse scheme for public open spaces and industrial use
- Water Smart Package
- High level planning and management of Council’s 2018/19 record capital program spend of nearly $400 million, which includes budget allocation for significant road upgrades, drain and storm water management and many other shovel ready projects
- High level organisational reform projects, with a focus on moving staff from contract to permanent positions, and exponentially expanding investment in frontline staff, apprentices and trainees.
Previously Chief Executive of the Department of Local Government, Community Services and the Office of Aboriginal Affairs for the Northern Territory Government, Mike has extensive experience in organisational reform, strategic planning, infrastructure and service delivery across urban, regional and remote communities including:
- Management of funding and delivery of essential services & infrastructure to regional and remote Indigenous communities
- Coordination of service delivery for regional centres, remote communities
- Oversight of Local Governments and Regional Councils across the Northern Territory.
Mike has extensive experience and expertise in place leadership and management, and community planning. He has led and been a member of various Steering Groups with the Commonwealth and State Governments regarding funding and delivery of Major Infrastructure programs. These include the Sydney 2000 Olympics and oversight and place management of many iconic sites in New South Wales.
Role of the CEO
The Chief Executive Officer is employed by the council and is responsible for the effective and efficient management of the local government and its employees.
- Manage the day to day operations of the business and its staff in accordance with council's priorities and budget
- Oversee the implementation of decisions made by the council
- Management of local government employees in accordance with council's policies, organisational structure and resources and promoting equal employment opportunities
- Ensuring access and equity for community members to programs and reviewing decisions of the local government
- Exercise such functions of council as are delegated by the council to the Chief Executive Officer.
In April 2016, council asked independent consultants, Nous Group, to review its management structure and recommend options to improve operations and financial sustainability, and reduce red tape. Council adopted the report in full on 27 September 2016.
The report recommends a number of projects to be adopted to improve our financial sustainability and transform TCC into a more accountable, accessible and customer focused organisation with less red tape and more outcome focus.
Download and read the full report here (PDF, 1.3 MB)