Plumbing & Drainage

Hydraulic and Building Services Unit

The Hydraulic and Building Services Unit of Townsville City Council provides assessments of plumbing and drainage applications and inspections pursuant to the state government regulations and the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002.

Generally, plumbing and drainage that is within the boundaries of owner’s property, is assessed under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002 by the Hydraulic and Building Services Unit. Alterations to council owned water, sewerage or stormwater services require approval and assessment from other sections of council.

Notifiable work

On 1 November 2012, a new category of plumbing and drainage work called 'notifiable work' commenced. Notifiable work extends the amount of work a plumber or drainer can perform without a local government permit or mandatory inspections.

Notifiable work is defined in schedule 2 of the Standard Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003. It includes most plumbing and drainage work performed in existing homes including:

  • kitchen and bathroom additions and renovations;
  • installing or replacing hot water heaters including electric, solar or heat pump hot water heaters;
  • installing fixtures such as toilets, showers and sinks in an existing home;
  • extending or altering pipe work.

Some plumbing and drainage work will also be able to be performed on commercial buildings. The Department of Housing and Public Works has released a series of facts sheets for industry and consumers.

For further information please visit the Department of Housing and Public Works, notifiable works website.

Preparation of drainage plans, on-site sewerage facilities designs and as-constructed plans

The Hydraulic and Building Services Unit does not prepare drainage design plans, commercial as-constructed drawings or on-site sewerage facilities designs/reports. However, there are a number of local companies that provide this service and can be found in the Yellow Pages. For more information on when you need a drainage plan and the relevant requirements see our useful Drainage Plan Requirements information sheet.

The Hydraulic and Building Services Unit however, does provide the following professional services:

  • Conduct physical inspections (report provided) of the condition of plumbing and drainage located at premises. (Pre-sale inspection)
  • Searches of council's electronic records of plumbing and drainage installations within a property
  • Supply a consultancy service for plumbing and drainage related issues.

Back to top

Requests for existing services drainage plans

Council can supply existing “as constructed drainage plans” and “all services plans” of council assets. Contact the Customer Service Centre for further information.

Dial Before You Dig

A free referral service for information on underground pipes and cables anywhere in Australia. Using Dial Before You Dig can prevent damage, disruption, injury and even death.

Dial before you dig website

On TapOn Tap e-newsletter logo

On Tap is a newsletter released every four months from the Hydraulic and Building Services Unit to our customers in the trade community, for general updates as well as the latest in processes and legislation.

For more information, subscribe to On Tap.

Other useful links



Guides and Factsheets

Back to top