What Needs a Permit?

For most types of construction work a 'building permit' or a 'decision notice' is required before any construction related activities can commence on site. If you are planning renovations or new structures outdoors, you will probably require the approval of a building certifier.

What needs a permit?

If you plan to construct or undertake any of the following, you MUST get a permit:

  • Swimming pools (above and in ground) and their fences
  • Spas and their fences (if not in a bathroom)
  • Garden and lawn lockers
  • A deck
  • Shade sails
  • Patios, pergolas, carports, verandas
  • Shipping containers (not short-term use, e.g. greater than 3 months)
  • Retaining walls greater than 1m in height
  • Sheds
  • Fences over 2m high
  • Detached signs higher than 2m or wider than 1.2m

More information can be located on our Building Guidelines and Fact Sheets page or if you are planning on constructing any of the above, or have any questions regarding permits please contact Council on 1300 878 001.