Illich Park Upgrade
Council has commenced work on Stage 2 of the Illich Park upgrade and is expected to complete construction in mid-2020.
This $6 million upgrade is delivered in partnership with the Australian Government’s Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Cities and Regional Development’s Community Development Grants Program.
In 2019, Council completed the 650-metre drain line along Richard and Rendle Streets as part of the pre-works needed to commence Stage 2 of this project.
The primary objective of the park upgrade is to construct a 65-megalitre detention basin to mitigate flooding in Aitkenvale.
As part of this project, Council will:
- install new CCTV
- install additional lighting
- construct 32 angle car park bays on Elizabeth Street
- construct new concrete pedestrian pathways to connect community facilities.
A recreation area will also be created and will include the install of:
- a new shade sail, playground equipment and soft fall
- picnic shelters, seating and electric BBQs
- a basketball half court, fitness equipment and drinking fountains.
Extensive landscaping will occur throughout the area of works.
Illich Park Factsheet (PDF, 586.0 KB)