Apjohn Street Drainage Improvements
|Goal||4. A sustainable destination that embraces and participates in the arts, sports and events and recreational activities.|
|Strategic Purpose||To improve Townsville's infrastructure resilience by improving stormwater drainage at Horseshoe Bay.|
Construction of a new drain along Apjohn Street on Magnetic Island is complete, improving infrastructure resilience and stormwater drainage protecting 50 properties from flood risk in Horseshoe Bay.
Townsville City Council in partnership with the Commonwealth and Queensland Government is proud to deliver the Apjohn Street Drainage Improvement project through the Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA). The DRFA program provides disaster relief and recovery payments and infrastructure restoration to help communities recover from the effects of a natural disaster.
Council has completed the following works to improve stormwater drainage at Horseshoe Bay Park and along Apjohn Street.
- removed Ergon power poles and installed underground power to the northern side of Apjohn Street
- constructed an open drain on the southern side of Apjohn Street
- relocated the existing Horseshoe Bay Park multi-purpose sports court
- constructed an open drain through Horseshoe Bay Park and associated fencing
- installed a drainage culvert within the intersection of Horseshoe Bay Road and Apjohn Street
- excavated and reconstructed identified portions of Apjohn Street for drainage works
Construction commenced in February 2021 and was completed in September 2022.
Most recently, Townsville City Council has included some additional works for topsoiling and turfing around the Apjohn Street intersection, maintenance of the main drain, extending vegetation works to the main drain behind the sports oval and directed some other minor maintenance works items to ensure the project is completed in a condition that is more easily maintained. These works are currently underway and should be completed by the end of February 2023.
- Apjohn Street Drainage Improvements - Project Update 6 (PDF, 3.3 MB)
- Apjohn Street Drainage Improvements - Project Update 5 (PDF, 2.0 MB)
- Apjohn Street Drainage Improvements - Project Update 4 (PDF, 199.5 KB)
- Apjohn Street Drainage Improvements - Project Update 3 (PDF, 5.7 MB)
- Apjohn Street Drainage Improvements - Project Update 2 (PDF, 6.1 MB)
- Apjohn Street Drainage Improvements - Project Update 1 (PDF, 2.0 MB)
- Apjohn Street Drainage Improvements Work Notification (PDF, 861.0 KB)
Project Consultation Graphics
- Apjohn Street Drainage Consultation Graphic (PDF, 6.5 MB)
- Horseshoe Bay Park Drainage Improvements Consultation Graphic (PDF, 5.0 MB)