Southern Suburbs Rising Main Project
|Investment||$54 million total investment, $20 million for stage three ($13m in 2021/22 and $7m in 2022/23)|
|Jobs||100 for stage one, 100 for stage two, 20-30 for stage three|
|Goal||4. A sustainable destination that embraces and participates in the arts, sports and events and recreational activities.|
|Strategic Purpose||Enhance wastewater management and cater for future growth in Townsville’s southern suburbs in and around Wulguru by increasing system capacity.|
The Southern Suburbs Rising Main will relieve pressure on the sewerage network and cater for future growth in the area.
This project was completed in March 2023, with a total investment of around $54 million.
The $10.4 million tender to construct the Wulguru gravity sewer and rising main was awarded to Newlands Civil Construction. A separate $5.3 million tender for the construction of the pump station was awarded to CivilPlus Constructions.
This project received $5 million in funding from the Queensland Government through its Building Our Regions program.
- 31/05/2022 - Construction starts soon on new sewerage pump station in Wulguru
- 22/09/2021 - Contractor appointed for stage 3 of Southern Suburbs main project
- 23/06/2021 - $13 million funding for Wulguru wastewater management fix
- 07/12/2020 - Project secures southside's sewerage network for years to come
- 03/10/2019 - Two-way traffic flows down Cypress Drive
- 30/07/2019 - Glendale Drive closes for Southern corridor pipeline works
- 14/06/2019 - Southern Suburbs Rising Main pumping out local jobs
- 08/03/2019 - Southern Suburbs Rising Main contract treating economy to 20 local jobs
Project Work Region Maps
Maps showing the work zones for project activity are listed below.
- Zone 1 - Annandale (Yolanda Drive to Annandale Drive)
- Zone 2 - Annandale (Annandale Drive to Murray Lyons Crescent)
- Zone 3 - Idalia (Stuart Drive to Lakeside Drive)
- Zone 4 - Idalia/Oonoonba (Oonoonba Road/Lakeside Drive to Shannon Street)
- Zone 5 - Stuart (Ron McLean Drive)
- Zone 6 - Stuart (Cleveland Bay Road)
- Zone 7 - Annandale/Wulguru (Murray Lyons Crescent to Haldane Street)
- Overall Project map
This project was developed with the support of the Queensland Government’s Building Our Regions program in association with Townsville City Council.