Southern Suburbs Rising Main Project
|Investment||$54 million total investment, $20 million for stage three ($13m in 2021/22 and $7m in 2022/23)|
|Jobs||100 for stage one, 100 for stage two, 20-30 for stage three|
|Goal||4. A sustainable destination that embraces and participates in the arts, sports and events and recreational activities.|
|Strategic Purpose||Enhance wastewater management and cater for future growth in Townsville’s southern suburbs in and around Wulguru by increasing system capacity.|
|Status||Stage one and two complete, stage three underway|
The Southern Suburbs Rising Main will relieve pressure on the sewerage network and cater for future growth in the area.
Stage one and two of the project are complete, and stage three is underway. Townsville City Council has committed $20 million to stage three, which includes construction of a new wastewater pump station, gravity main and pressure main in Wulguru.
Stage three has significantly progressed – construction of the gravity main and pressure main in Wulguru is complete and construction of the new pump station continues, recently reaching a milestone with the completion of the concrete structures including the pump well, manholes, valve chamber and flow meter chamber.
The $10.4 million tender to construct the Wulguru gravity sewer and rising main was awarded to Newlands Civil Construction. A separate $5.3 million tender for the construction of the pump station was awarded to CivilPlus Constructions.
The project is expected to be completed by January 2023, with a total investment of around $54 million.
This project received $5 million in funding from the Queensland Government through its Building Our Regions program.
- 31/05/2022 - Construction starts soon on new sewerage pump station in Wulguru
- 22/09/2021 - Contractor appointed for stage 3 of Southern Suburbs main project
- 23/06/2021 - $13 million funding for Wulguru wastewater management fix
- 07/12/2020 - Project secures southside's sewerage network for years to come
- 03/10/2019 - Two-way traffic flows down Cypress Drive
- 30/07/2019 - Glendale Drive closes for Southern corridor pipeline works
- 14/06/2019 - Southern Suburbs Rising Main pumping out local jobs
- 08/03/2019 - Southern Suburbs Rising Main contract treating economy to 20 local jobs
Project Work Region Maps
Maps showing the work zones for project activity are listed below.
- Zone 1 - Annandale (Yolanda Drive to Annandale Drive)
- Zone 2 - Annandale (Annandale Drive to Murray Lyons Crescent)
- Zone 3 - Idalia (Stuart Drive to Lakeside Drive)
- Zone 4 - Idalia/Oonoonba (Oonoonba Road/Lakeside Drive to Shannon Street)
- Zone 5 - Stuart (Ron McLean Drive)
- Zone 6 - Stuart (Cleveland Bay Road)
- Zone 7 - Annandale/Wulguru (Murray Lyons Crescent to Haldane Street)
- Overall Project map
This project was developed with the support of the Queensland Government’s Building Our Regions program in association with Townsville City Council.