Tobruk Memorial Baths Redevelopment
Council is committed to providing parks, sporting fields and recreational areas that promote active lifestyles, bring people together and contribute to the wellbeing of our city.
Townsville’s much-loved Tobruk Memorial Baths has stood proud for almost 70 years and has opened its doors to greats Dawn Fraser and Laurie Lawrence. The historic pool has now received a much-needed facelift.
Council has invested $11.3 million to restore and reinvigorate the heritage features of the Pool.
The project restored the heritage features to their former glory. The existing 50m pool and kiddies pool was removed, a new 50m pool and kiddies pool was constructed, and the disability access in and around the pools was improved.
The redevelopment included:
- New eight-lane, 50m pool with wider lanes and wet deck
- New toddler pool to comply with Royal Life Saving requirements
- Improved disability access to pools with a disability ramp to the 50m pool and a sloping entrance to the toddler pool
- Refurbished male and female changes rooms for increased privacy
- Provision of shade awnings to 50m and toddlers pools
- New landscaping
Construction commenced on Monday 12 August 2019 and the facility reopened to the public on Monday 27 July 2020.
- 22.09.2020 - Tobruk change room receives Changing Places accreditation
- 27.07.2020 - Tobruk Memorial Baths re-open
- 29.04.2020 - Tobruk Pool redevelopment close to completion
- 30.10.2019 - Tobruk Memorial Baths redevelopment on-track
- 09.10.2019 - Tobruk Memorial Baths redevelopment progressing swimmingly
- 15.08.2019 - 120 local workers to make a splash with pool redevelopment
- 12.08.2019 - Council diving into Tobruk Memorial Baths redevelopment
- 18.04.2019 - Council calling for tenders to upgrade Tobruk Memorial Baths