Tobruk Memorial Baths Redevelopment
|Tobruk Memorial Baths will be closed from Monday 12 August for redevelopment.|
Council is committed to providing parks, sporting fields and recreational areas that promote active lifestyles, bring people together and contribute to the wellbeing of our city.
Townsville’s much loved Tobruk Memorial Baths has stood proud for almost 70 years and has opened its doors to greats Dawn Fraser and Laurie Lawrence. It is now time that this historic pool receives a much needed face lift.
Council plans to invest $11.3 million with the aim to restore and reinvigorate the heritage features of the Pool.
The project will restore the heritage features to their former glory. The existing 50m pool and kiddies pool will be removed. A new 50m pool and kiddies pool will be constructed and improve the disability access in and around the pools.
The redevelopment will include:
- New eight lane, 50m pool with wider lanes and wet deck
- New toddler pool to comply with Royal Life Saving requirements
- Improved disability access to pools with a disability ramp to the 50m pool and a sloping entrance to the toddler pool
- Refurbished male and female changes rooms for increased privacy
- Provision of shade awnings to 50m and toddlers pools
- New landscaping
Construction will commence on Monday 12 August 2019 with the facility reopened to the public early 2020.