About Northern Fringe Festival
In July 2019 Townsville North Queensland will host the inaugural Northern Fringe Festival running alongside the North Australian Festival of Arts (NAFA).
The Northern Fringe – in the spirit of Fringe Festivals across the globe – will be an inclusive and organic festival hosted in theatres, cafés, pop-up venues, laneways and street corners right across Townsville – Australia’s largest tropical city.
From live acts, music and comedy to cabaret, freaks and funk; all forms of art and performance can play in what will become over time a respected festival on the national Fringe landscape.
NAFA is a month-long arts and cultural festival celebrated in July – where Townsville’s winter is a perfect summer.
NAFA will present national and international acts and showcase the vibrant artistic and cultural life of northern Australia. The winter events and festival season in Townsville – with Supercars, Winter Racing Carnival, Football and Running Festivals – will be complimented by a month-long curated arts and cultural program of music, dance, theatre, comedy, exhibitions, Spiegeltent shows, illuminations, a writers’ festival and much more.
Performers and artists can submit their events to be part of the 2019 Northern Fringe Festival program from Thursday 14 March until Friday 7 June 2019 by following the link at the top of this page. Please direct all performance related enquiries to email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Northern Fringe Festival?
Running alongside the North Australian Festival of Arts, the Northern Fringe Festival is an open access arts festival. Art and performance of any and all forms can play in what will become over time a respected festival on the national Fringe landscape.
- The Northern Fringe is an open access festival – meaning that anyone can apply to put on a show in July in Townsville
- Open Access means that anyone can put on a show as part of the festival in July. There is no selection process and the main festival program is not programmed or curated
- The Fringe does produce a few large-scale public events, to bring the city to life throughout July, and make sure everyone knows Fringe is happening
- Registrations close 7 June 2019
- Registering for the Northern Fringe Festival will get you an allocated spot in the digital Fringe program
- Venues, performers and artists can nominate to be a part of the Northern Fringe Festival and can occur in any location across Townsville
- Registration is essential to be involved