Townsville City Council offers free Eco-Catchment Education Tours to schools, TAFE, university groups, businesses and the community. The tours provide a chance to follow the water cycle from creek to coral, including essential infrastructure that integrates with the local natural environment. Discover the hidden world of energy flows in Townsville as well as the wonders of our biodiversity hot spots. In addition to tours, we also offer classroom visits and curriculum-linked educational resources.
Presentations and Tours
Choose from a range of presentations and tours to suit your needs. Book now to avoid disappointment.
Business groups and community groups wishing to book a visit with one of our education officers, please contact customer service on 13 48 10.
Tour of selected Learnscapes that can be customised to suit your curricular requirements.
Tour of a single Learnscape, tailored to your requirements.
Have an educator visit your classroom or school to talk about topics of your choice.
Our virtual tours have been optimised for Google Chrome and some features may not be available in other browsers.
How to use the water virtual tours
- Use the bottom left navigation bar to change the viewing angle of the site
- Floor plan allows you to click anywhere in the site
- Explore the site, swiping up, down, left and right:
- For desktop or laptop computer, use the mouse or keypad (left, right, bottom and top arrow keys)
- For ipad or tablet, swipe, drag and tap your screen on each scan
- Click on the scans (white circles) to move through the site. If you cannot see a scan, you may not be able to access that location, alternatively, click ahead of the camera to move to a different location.
- Hover over the blue icons to view information about the site or listen to audio
Douglas Water Treatment Plant
Douglas Water Treatment Plant - Sludge Management
Rowes Bay - Sustainability Centre
Rowes Bay - Boardwalk
How to use the waste virtual tours
- Use the navigation panel on the left-hand side of the screen to select an area of the site to tour.
- If visible, use the white flashing arrows to navigate around each area.
- Click and hold your mouse down while moving it up, down, left or right to further swivel and navigate around each site.
- Click on either the blue information or question icons to open them and display more information or images.
- Some information and question icons may not be displayed until you move to the next white flashing arrow.
- Be sure to click on each arrow before you finish the tour to ensure you have not missed anything.
Magnetic Island Transfer Station
Double-click the virtual tour below to open it full screen.
- Recycle Right Game Board (PDF, 2.4 MB)
- Recycling Chatterbox (PDF, 4.4 MB)
- Rowes Bay House Composting Factsheet (PDF, 7.4 MB)
- Townsville City Council Materials Recovery Facility (PDF, 3.4 MB)
- Waste and Recycling Quick Guide ( PDF, 4.2 MB)
Education Resource Feedback
Townsville City Council is always looking to improve our resources for teachers and community groups. We would love to hear your feedback on ways to help you bring education to life. Please leave your feedback using our Teacher Feedback Form.
All elements of our Eco-catchment Education Tours tie in with Queensland State Government education curriculum Key Learning Outcomes.
Our Eco Catchment Tours are certified by Tourism Australia.
Ecotourism, adopted by Ecotourism Australia is ecologically sustainable tourism with a primary focus on experiencing natural areas that foster environmental and cultural understanding, appreciation and conservation.