Events, sports, arts secure funding in grants round
Date published: 12 April 2017
The Community and Cultural Development Committee today endorsed a recommendation that will provide funding to a large number of Townsville community organisations.
The grants were recommended to the committee by the Financial Assistance and Events Group (FAEG) which met on March 20.
Applications were received during the February 2017 grant round through the following programs:
- Community Capacity Building – Community Cultural Awareness
- Community Capacity Building – Community Organisation Support
- Community Capacity Building – Partnerships and Sponsorships
- Festival and Events
- Get Active – Club Capacity Building
- Community Heritage Grants Program
The grants support the creation, implementation and delivery of community initiatives that contribute to the wellbeing of the Townsville community.
The funding, which varies from a one-off grant of a few hundred dollars to more substantial arrangements, will assist the groups to deliver services and events to the community.
Committee chair Cr Colleen Doyle said the grants process was always evolving.
“We are always reassessing how we can provide the most appropriate assistance to the community,” Cr Doyle said.
“Many of these groups depend on council’s support to continue to operate and provide their wonderful community programs, events and festivals in our community.
“Some of the funding is cash, while other funding arrangements waive venue hire costs or provide assistance to deliver services.”
- Castle Hill Spinney Inc (Trading as Ronald McDonald House North Queensland)
- Queensland Police Citizens Youth Welfare Association
- The Townsville Chamber of Commerce
- Australian Concerto ad Vocal Competition Inc
- North Queensland Ballet and Dance Company Limited (Trading as Dancenorth)
- Townsville Bicycle User Group Inc.
- Townsville Citizens Band Association Inc
- Townsville Community Music Centre Inc
- Townsville Museum and Historical Society Inc
- Townsville Writers and Publishers Centre Inc
- U3A Townsville Inc
- Athletics North Queensland Association Inc
- Black River Pony and Hack Club Inc
- Giants Basketball Club (Townsville) Inc
- Northern Beaches United Football Club Inc.
- Western Lions RLFC Inc
- Children’s Fishing Classic Townsville Inc
- Friends of the Theatre Inc
- India Fest Townsville Inc
- Jaguar Car Club of North Queensland Inc
- Keriba-Mina Zenadh Indigenous Corporation
- Pasifika Communities of Townsville PCT Inc
- Professional Bull Riders Association Pty Ltd
- Stillbirth and Neonatal Death Support Group (Qld) Inc
- Thuringowa Bird Club Inc
- Townsville and Thuringowa Country Music Association Inc
- Townsville Fashion Festival Inc
- Townsville Gem and Mineral Club Inc
- Townsville Greek and Cultural Festivals Inc
- Townsville Hockey Association Inc.
- Townsville Orchid Society Inc.
- National Trust of Australia (Qld) Ltd Townsville Branch
- Townsville & James Cook University Rowing Club Inc.
- The Townsville Choral Society Inc.
- Townsville Maritime Museum Limited
Today’s decision will go before full council on April 26 for final approval.