Be a Responsible Pet Owner
Owning a pet can be a lot of fun, but they come with the obligation to take care of them. Animals play an important role in our community providing companionship and security. Anyone intending to own an animal in Townsville is legally liable and is always responsible for their pets. Download the Be a Responsible Pet Owner brochure for more information.
All dogs are required to be registered and cats require permits in Townsville. Visit Animal Registration and Legislation for more information.
All dogs and cats are required to be microchipped before 12 weeks of age. Please contact your local vet clinic to arrange your pet to be microchipped.
Council may offer free microchipping at some events to registered dogs and approved cats in Townsville. More information on these events will be made available on What's On Townsville.
Desexing your pet improves their health, reduces behavioural problems (such as roaming), prevents unwanted litters, and can even increase their lifespan.
All dogs and cats are required to be under effective control (ie on a leash) when in a public place. It is a requirement for the owner/responsible person for any cat or dog to ensure their pet is not aggressive toward people or animals.
It is a requirement for the owner/responsible person for any dog or cat to provide an adequate enclosure that prevents the animal from escaping the yard or wandering at large.
Health & Exercise
It is a requirement for the owner/responsible person to exercise their pet and to pick up after them in public spaces.
Resources for Children
- Read more on how you can teach your kids become cool kitty owners.
- Read more on how you can educate your kids on dog bite prevention.
There are a number of initiatives Council is involved in to promote responsible pet ownership within the community. Such initiatives include:
- Animal Management Reference Group
- Free Microchipping Events
- Hosting Pet Expo (cancelled 2021)
- Animal Care and Adoption Centre Adoption Events
- Educational displays at community events
- Partnerships with local animal management allies such as veterinarians
- Involvement with Australia Institute of Animal Management (AIAM).
To stay up to date with more handy tips and tricks on how to be the best pet owner, LIKE our Facebook page.