Our Recruitment Process
Applying for a position
Townsville City Council uses eRecruitment, a self-service portal. eRecruitment enables you to apply for jobs with us online, at anytime, anywhere, using a range of digital and mobile devices.
By creating your own Jobseeker profile on our eRecruitment portal, you can:
- Subscribe to email alerts for vacancies you are interested in;
- Login and view the status of jobs you have applied for;
- Track the progress of your application through the recruitment process;
- Receive updates from us as your application reaches various stages;
- Manage your own job application resume and attachments;
To create a Jobseeker profile, visit our Current Vacancies page and ‘Register’ for an account on our Vacancy Job Board.
What you should include in your application
- A detailed Cover Letter (1-2 pages) addressed to the Recruitment Team, outlining how your skills, qualifications and experience meet the Key Requirements of the position; and
- Your current resume including the name and telephone number of two work referees (people who have directly supervised you or who have knowledge of your work performance over the past 5 years); and
- Evidence of your right to work in Australia if born outside of Australia; and
- A copy of the required qualifications/licenses/tickets as per the Key Requirements of the Position Information document.
Council is committed to recruiting the best possible candidates. Accordingly, the selection process is based on merit principles and equal employment opportunity. Your application will be assessed against the requirements of the position, based on your qualifications, and your relevant experience as outlined in your application documents.
The selection process may include:
- Pre-screening interview via phone or face to face
- Formal panel interview
- Practical assessments
- Reference Checks
- VEVO Immigration Check
- Fit for work medical assessment
- Pre-employment drug and alcohol screening (mandatory)
- Working with Children Check
- National Police Clearance
- Probation period (3 or 6 months)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a Job Search Profile?
- A Job Search Profile is a set of job search criteria that you can setup that will trigger you to receive automated alerts for any matching vacancies that are advertised by TCC. Your job search profile can be setup once you register for an account on the Job Board.
- How do I create a Job Search Profile and setup alerts for vacancies that I am interested in?
Register for an account on Council’s Vacancies Job Board jobs.townsville.qld.gov.au (if you haven’t already done so). Once logged in, under "my profile" select the relevant Work Type and Occupation and set “Email me notifications” to YES.
Vacancy alerts will be triggered when a new vacancy matching your criteria is advertised on the External Job Board. If you have selected to receive "all" work and occupation types, you will receive an alert containing all new vacancies advertised.
By default, emails will be sent as HTML format. Select email as plain text if you prefer an email that contains only text and has no formatting.
- How will I be notified of new vacancies or updates on my application?
During the process of creating your account on the Job Board, you will be asked to nominate an email address. This email address will be used to notify you of any vacancies you have elected to receive alerts on within your Job Search profile, including how we will contact you to provide updates on any job applications you submit.
All emails regarding your application will come from firstname.lastname@example.org or a TCC Recruitment Officer (this is normal). Replies must not be sent directly to the no-reply address, as this email is not monitored.
You may also receive SMS messages about your application. Due to the SMS facility used, SMS messages will be generated from random mobile numbers and may not be the same number used next time, so it is not advisable to store this number. The details contained within the SMS will confirm what you need to do.
- How do I save my Resume to my profile?
You can save employment-related attachments such as Resume, Qualifications, Certificates and Licences under “My Attachments” in the job board. You must be logged into the Job Board to access this feature on your profile.
Click on “Add new attachment”, Choose File button, choose the file you would like to upload on click on “Add File”. You can also save attachments the first time you apply for a vacancy. By default, the checkbox is ticked to “Also add this attachment to my account”.
- I received the message "you do not meet the minimum criteria to proceed with this application"
Some vacancies will contain minimum/mandatory requirements. These questions help us decide if you can progress to the next stage of the application. If these are not met, you will receive this message indicating that you did not meet the minimum eligibility criteria for this position.
If you believe you have received this message in error or wish to discuss your eligibility criteria, please contact the Recruitment Team on (07) 4727 9004. Your answers are not saved and will not be seen by anyone else.
- Can I save part of my application to complete later?
Yes. You can commence the Application process and save it at any stage by clicking on the “Save” button in the application (you must be logged into your profile on the Job Board for this to be available). Once saved, you can locate your draft application by logging into your profile on the Job Board and navigating to “Current Applications”.
Any vacancies that are incomplete will be available to continue and submit (provided the application period has not expired).
- How do I submit a late application after the due date has closed?
- The application period will expire at midnight on the advertising closing date. Late applications cannot be submitted via the Job Board after the application period has expired. All late applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the Recruitment Team directly to discuss a submission for a late application.
- How do I update/withdraw my application after I have submitted it?
- Provided the advertising period has not closed, your application can be updated and resubmitted, or withdrawn. This is done by logging in to the Job Board, navigating to “Current Applications” and selecting “Edit and Resubmit” from the Status of your application.
- What is the maximum file size that can be attached/uploaded?
- The file size limit that can be attached to an application or uploaded to your profile is 8MB (8,000KB) per attachment.
- How can I access a copy of my Offer and Paperwork I completed in the Onboarding Portal?
The offer and paperwork you completed in the Onboarding Portal is available for download for up to 6 months. After this time, or if you have been offered another position via this portal, this documentation will be removed and/or replaced by the latest paperwork you have received.
To access the Onboarding Portal, go to recruit-onboarding.townsville.qld.gov.au and login with the details you were provided in your offer email. Your username will be the email address you used in your application, and your password can be reset by using the “forgotten your password” link on the login screen if required.
Once logged in, your documents will display and can be downloaded and/or emailed.
- Who will have access to my information?
The information collected from you when you create a login/job search profile on the Job Boards is not accessed, stored or used by Townsville City Council. Please read the Terms and Conditions, and Privacy Statement pertaining to the eRecruitment portal and use of the Job Boards.
- Who can I contact for help?
- People and Culture, Recruitment team
Phone: (07) 4727 9004
- People and Culture, Recruitment team
- Download a PDF copy of Frequently Asked Questions
Privacy and Collection Statement
By providing your personal details and work history to the Townsville City Council through our eRecruitment portal, you acknowledge that you understand that any part of this information may be shared by more than one section or may be used by a contracted service provider, where appropriate, in relation to recruitment and selection.