History & Heritage
Townsville has a rich cultural history and a great deal of heritage listed buildings.
Learn about the traditional landowners and a brief history of the Townsville region.
A brief history of the women and men who helped shape Townsville as we know it today.
If your property is heritage-listed, it is important to find out the key limitations you must take into account before commencing any work.
The Freedom of Entry to the City is a right granted upon a military unit by a Local Government to honour a distinguished unit of the armed forces.
Townsville reaches its 150th year as a municipality.
This time 20 years ago Townsville was preparing for the opening of what has become one of the city’s most popular destinations – The Strand.
Townsville City Council and the National Australia Day Council presented Northern Stories from 15 to 26 January 2021.
Heritage and cemetery walks
Download Townsville Tours and Trails from the App Store or Google Play.
Download our Heritage and Cemetery walks brochures for self-guided tours around Townsville. A perfect way to see the city and learn about its rich history, architecture and people.
- Trail 1 - Civic pride (PDF, 3.2 MB)
- Trail 2 - Early Townsville (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Trail 3 - South Townsville and port (PDF, 3.2 MB)
- West End Cemetery Trails 1 - Life, death and memorialisation in early Townsville (PDF, 8.1 MB)
- West End Cemetery Trails 2 - Townsville women (PDF, 8.1 MB)
- West End Cemetery Trails 3 - Publican's trail (PDF, 9.3 MB)