History & Heritage
Townsville has a rich cultural history and a great deal of heritage listed buildings.
Learn about the traditional landowners and a brief history of the Townsville region.
A brief history of the women and men who helped shape Townsville as we know it today.
If your property is heritage-listed, it is important to find out the key limitations you must take into account before commencing any work.
The Freedom of Entry to the City is a right granted upon a military unit by a Local Government to honour a distinguished unit of the armed forces.
Townsville reaches its 150th year as a municipality.
This time 20 years ago Townsville was preparing for the opening of what has become one of the city’s most popular destinations – The Strand.
Heritage and cemetery walks
Download Townsville Tours and Trails from the App Store or Google Play.
Download our Heritage and Cemetery walks brochures for self-guided tours around Townsville. A perfect way to see the city and learn about its rich history, architecture and people.
- Trail 1 - Civic pride (PDF, 3.2 MB)
- Trail 2 - Early Townsville (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Trail 3 - South Townsville and port (PDF, 3.2 MB)
- West End Cemetery Trails 1 - Life, death and memorialisation in early Townsville (PDF, 8.1 MB)
- West End Cemetery Trails 2 - Townsville women (PDF, 8.1 MB)
- West End Cemetery Trails 3 - Publican's trail (PDF, 9.3 MB)
Keep up-to-date with handy tips and alerts before, during and after disaster events.