History & Heritage
Townsville has a rich cultural history and a great deal of heritage listed buildings.
If your property is heritage-listed, it is important to find out the key limitations you must take into account before commencing any work.
A brief history of the Townsville region.
Townsville reaches its 150th year as a municipality.
This time 20 years ago Townsville was preparing for the opening of what has become one of the city’s most popular destinations – The Strand.
Heritage and cemetery walks
Download Townsville Tours and Trails from the App Store or Google Play.
Download our Heritage and Cemetery walks brochures for self-guided tours around Townsville. A perfect way to see the city and learn about its rich history, architecture and people.
- Trail 1 - Civic pride (PDF, 3.2 MB)
- Trail 2 - Early Townsville (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Trail 3 - South Townsville and port (PDF, 3.2 MB)
- West End Cemetery Trails 1 - Life, death and memorialisation in early Townsville (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- West End Cemetery Trails 2 - Townsville women (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- West End Cemetery Trails 3 - Publican's trail (PDF, 1.6 MB)
Pioneers of Townsville
A brief history of the women and men who helped shape Townsville as we know it today.
- Pioneers Walk - Andrew Ball (PDF, 847.9 KB)
- Pioneers Walk - Catherine Robinson (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Pioneers Walk - Eddie Mabo (PDF, 224.7 KB)
- Pioneers Walk - James Morrill (PDF, 1.1 MB)
- Pioneers Walk - Joan Innes-Reid (PDF, 143.4 KB)
- Pioneers Walk - John Melton Black (PDF, 860.9 KB)
- Pioneers Walk - Philip Leong (PDF, 924.3 KB)
- Pioneers Walk - Robert Hayles (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Pioneers Walk - Robert Towns (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Pioneers Walk - Rose Ball (PDF, 1004.9 KB)
- Pioneers Walk - Sister Elizabeth Kenny (PDF, 729.9 KB)