History & Heritage
Townsville has a rich cultural history and a great deal of heritage listed buildings.
If your property is heritage-listed, it is important to find out the key limitations you must take into account before commencing any work.
A brief history of the Townsville region.
Townsville reaches its 150th year as a municipality.
This time 20 years ago Townsville was preparing for the opening of what has become one of the city’s most popular destinations – The Strand.
Heritage and cemetery walks
Download our Heritage and Cemetery walks brochures for self-guided tours around Townsville. A perfect way to see the city and learn about its rich history, architecture and people.
- Trail 1 - Civic pride (PDF, 3.2 MB)
- Trail 2 - Early Townsville (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Trail 3 - South Townsville and port (PDF, 3.2 MB)
- West End Cemetery Trails 1 - Life, death and memorialisation in early Townsville (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- West End Cemetery Trails 2 - Townsville women (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- West End Cemetery Trails 3 - Publican's trail (PDF, 1.6 MB)