Discover the rich history of Townsville and the surrounding region in the Local Collection Room at Flinders Street library and online.
Local History staff will be available to assist you in the library, or email us at email@example.com.
- Digitise it, Preserve it, Share it
- Townsville Voices
- Working With Wood
- Memories for a New Generation
- Open for Business: Influential business families of Townsville's past.
- Lecture Series - Sir Robert Philp (PDF)
- Lecture Series - Lectures in Queensland History (PDF 7.5MB)
- Looking Back... Memories of Townsville project
- Serving Thuringowa: Chairman and Mayors 1897-2004 (PDF 8.7MB)
- Paluma: The First Eighty Years (PDF 15.5MB)
- A Short History of Thuringowa (PDF 11.3MB)
- Thuringowa Past and Present (PDF 14MB)
- A History of the Bohle Plains (PDF 3.2MB)
- In the Shadow of Castle Hill (PDF 12.2MB)
- Minutes Through the Years
- Paluma, The First Eighty Years (PDF 14.4MB)
- Highways and Byways: The meanings behind street names in Townsville (PDF 0.5MB)
T150 Education Kit
A comprehensive collection of information featuring 150 years of Townsville's history; neatly organised and presented for your use.
- Teacher information kit - information and activities to help students appreciate Townsville's diverse history. (PDF 7MB)
For a digital copy of the account of James Morrill mentioned in the year 4 activities please contact History and Heritage.
T150 Education - Activity Kits
The following are zip files for downloading to complement the above T150 Education Kit.
Heritage Information Sheets
These Heritage Information Sheets are a really valuable local history resource and are particularly useful for school assignments. Learn something new about our city's history.
Visit the Heritage Information Sheets webpage to view.
Memories for a New Generation
CityLibraries Townsville has commissioned the production of 11 digital stories focused on the theme of WW1. The stories feature Townsville residents whose stories, insights and memorabilia honour and embrace the Anzac spirit. Visit the Memories for a New Generation webpage to view the videos.
World War 1 Education Kit
The World War 1 Education Kit has two aims, first to illustrate the relevance of CityLibraries Townsville's Local History Collection to the Australian History Curriculum and second to assist teachers in creating a meaningful and interesting history unit relevant to Anzac Day.
The kit includes a range of activities with relevant sources for Year 2, 3 and 6 which align with the relevant aspects of the Australian History Curriculum.
Whilst the pack has been made with specific activities attached to specific sources it is hoped that teachers look upon the pack as a flexible teaching tool which they can utilise in a variety of ways.
The teachers guide for the World War 1 Education Kit can be downloaded below. Please visit our For Schools page to access additional kit resources.
- Download a copy of the WW1 Education Kit (PDF 12 MB)
From Selection to Discovery - T150 Minutes Through the Years
Funding was made available to support council's Minutes Through the Years: T150 Townsville City Council Minutes Online pilot project to begin the digitisation and cataloguing of Townsville’s historic minute books and to make them available online. Through the From Selection to Discovery pilot project, one set of minutes is now online and will also be available for the commencement of the 150th anniversary year of Townsville City Council from January 2016.
From Selection to Discovery was funded by the Queensland Government through the State Library of Queensland, and provided five councils with a grant and training to support the completion of a digitisation project of their choice. It aimed to increase the presence and accessibility of Queensland’s heritage collections online, and to build the capacity of councils and communities to continue selecting digitising and making collections accessible online into the future.
As part of ongoing Townsville City Council library work, further historical minute books will be digitised and made available during the anniversary year of 2016 building on the process established through the From Selection to Discovery project.
Flinders Street Local Collection
- Search our catalogue for books and magazines
- Historical newspapers on microfilm (PDF)
- Almanacs, indexes and directories on microfiche (PDF)
- Publications for sale (available in the CityLibraries Fees and Charges document)
- Indigenous Community - Family History and resources
For more information, please ask your friendly staff at CityLibraries.