Walking & Cycling Trails
Improve your outlook, get active outdoors!
Townsville has many great walkways and bikeways throughout the city. Download our guide or find out more about our most popular trails below. To find out more about cycling and hiking trails in our national parks please visit the Queensland Government Parks website.
Download the Townsville Active Travel Guide (PDF 4.4MB)
Remember, it only takes 6 minutes to burn so make sure you are prepared before you go out in the sun!
Castle Hill is the most popular walking trail within Townsville City – boasting a number of walking trails it is a great way to get fit and be active. From the circular road (3.3km one way) to the more intensive Cutheringa or Goat tracks Castle Hill is a great place to work out for any fitness level.
Share the Hill Safely
Castle Hill is an iconic feature and as a popular and greatly utilised area by many people in our community, it is also important to take care and be safe when using it for exercise or recreation. Everyone has a personal responsibility to share the space safely with others in the community.
Signage has recently been installed along the roadway on Castle Hill. These signs are important reminders to all users:
- Cyclists watch your speed, look out for signs, other roads users and do not exceed 40km per hour. Please ensure that you warn pedestrians and reduce your speed.
- Walkers and runners must walk no more than two people across – this allows safe space for all users, including cars and cyclists.
Watch the video to better understand how you can share the hill safely with everyone.
Whether you ride, drive, walk or run – please share Castle Hill safely with everyone!
The Go - Your Active Community - a Townsville website providing a guide to tracks on Castle Hill and others. Very informative and provides a unique "puff meter" so you know how much of a workout you could possibly get.
(This is an information link only and council accepts no responsibility for the content therein.)
The Riverwalk overlooks the beautiful Ross River and is a great place to view the prolific birdlife in this area. A 3-metre wide pathway runs along the river and provides numerous opportunities to enjoy its natural beauty. After taking a stroll, all the family can enjoy the nearby barbecue facilities provided or have a game of footy in the beautifully landscaped open space.
Download the Ross River Parkway Guide:
Please Note: Each page is A3 sized to preserve clarity of information. These documents contain images and diagrams, and may be incompatible with interpretive software.
The 710m walkway is adjacent to Arcadia Road and is made up of 2 sections - suitable for walkers and cyclists.
Geoffrey Bay towards Nelly Bay - is 350m in distance and leads to the first of two viewing platforms. This section is disable access compliant. Nelly Bay towards Geoffrey is 360m in distance and mostly elevated, with several break out areas to enjoy the vistas from.
The Booroona Trail offers the perfect opportunity for people to get closer to their environment with its attractive boardwalks, peaceful seating areas and harmony with the surrounding environment. The walking trail has improved the local river area dramatically and has also helped to foster a sense of community along the Ross River.
Blending man-made elements into the wetlands environment, the Booroona Trail provides the community with a safe place to experience a unique ecosystem with boardwalks, bridges, seating, plants and trees, overall beautification of the area and importantly, conservation and ongoing protection of native species.
Residents and visitors can enjoy the walking trail by accessing it from Upper Ross River Road at Apex Park or Loam Island.
10,000 steps walkway
Townsville has a number of 10,000 Steps signed walkways or circuits to help you achieve your 10,000 Steps per day - which is the recommended daily step goal for a healthy adult. You can find signed 10,000 Circuits at the following locations:
- Ross River Parkway Aplins Circuit - 5300m/6625 Steps
- Rowes Bay to Pallarenda - 4000m/5000 Steps (one way)
- Wetlands Circuit - 5860m/7325 Steps
- Anderson Botanic Garden Circuit - 1554m/1942 Steps
- Riverway Circuit - 3700m/4625 Steps
Castle Hill Tracks:
- Castle Hill Road Start to top Car Park - Total Distance 2600m / 3250 steps
- Ironbark Track to top Car Park - Total Distance 1744m / 2180 steps
- Cudtheringa Track to top Car Park - Total Distance 1136M / 1420 steps
- Goat Track to top Car Park - Total Distance 1052m / 1315 step
- Dianella Track to top Car Park - Total Distance 1021m / 1276 steps
10,000 Steps walkway brochures are available from Council, please phone 1300 878 001.
Heritage and cemetery walks
Download our Heritage and Cemetery walks brochures for self-guided tours around Townsville. A perfect way to see the city and learn about its rich history, architecture and people.
- Trail 1 - Civic pride (PDF 1.1MB)
- Trail 2 - Early Townsville (PDF 1.1MB)
- Trail 3 - South Townsville and port (PDF 1.2MB)
- West End Cemetery Trails 1 - Life, death and memorialisation in early Townsville (PDF 1.5MB)
- West End Cemetery Trails 2 - Townsville women (PDF 1.7MB)
- West End Cemetery Trails 3 - Publican's trail (PDF 1.6MB)