Townsville residents wished a safe and happy Easter
Date published: 29 March 2018
Acting Townsville Mayor Cr Russ Cook has wished all Townsville residents a safe and happy Easter weekend.
“Easter is a time when families like to take the time to get together and I hope everyone has a safe and happy time over the long weekend,” Cr Cook said.
“Families tend to travel over the Easter period and wet weather may impact roads in North Queensland – I’d like everyone to make it to their destination safely and to drive to the conditions.
“There have been some road closures this week and I’d recommend that anyone planning to travel checks if the roads are open before they leave and to have a back-up plan for the weekend.”
The Townsville City Council Customer Service Centre will be closed from 5pm Thursday 29 March and will reopen at 8.30am Tuesday 3 April, however the after-hours number (13 4810) will be available in case of emergency.
Council would also like to remind residents that bins will be emptied as normal over the public holidays and to make sure the bins are put kerbside by 6am on their scheduled collection day.
Closures over the Easter weekend:
- Landfills and transfer stations will be closed on Good Friday. Service will return to normal for the remainder of the weekend.
- CityLibraries (Flinders St, Thuringowa & Aitkenvale) and mobile library services will be closed Friday and will reopen on Tuesday.
- Perc Tucker Regional Gallery and Pinnacles Gallery will be closed Friday and will reopen on Tuesday.
- Council pools (Tobruk, Long Tan, Kokoda and Northern Beaches Leisure Centre) operating hours are:
- Good Friday (30 March) - Closed
- Saturday (31 March) - Open 7 am until 5 pm
- Sunday (1 April) - Open 12 pm until 5 pm
- Monday (2 April) - Open 9 am until 5 pm
- Riverway Lagoon will be open all weekend from 8am until 8pm
Keep up-to-date with handy tips and alerts before, during and after disaster events.