Last chance to donate to this year’s Toy Drive
Date published: 11 December 2019
Generous locals are stepping up to the plate to help make this Christmas more merry and bright for children in need.
Townsville City Council’s Mayor’s Christmas Tree Appeal Drive is working in conjunction with the HIT 103.1 Toy Drive to deliver extra cheer to children across the city.
Townsville Mayor Jenny Hill said the drive, which partnered with The Salvation Army, was a longstanding tradition for businesses and residents to be involved in.
“The Mayor’s Christmas Tree Appeal is a community effort to help put food on the table and toys under the tree for less fortunate Townsville residents at Christmas time,” Cr Hill said.
“The HIT 103.1 Toy Drive is an integral part of making sure everyone in our community gets to have a happy festive season.”
Southern Cross Austereo Townsville general manager Cassandra Cazzulino said it was heartening to see the number of people getting behind the drive.
“The Mayor’s Christmas Tree Appeal is a wonderful finale in what has been a challenging year for many of our local families,” Ms Cazzulino said.
“I encourage our friends in business and community to join in the spirit and donate a toy or two to the HIT 103.1 Toy Drive and I thank the Townsville community for their continued support and heartfelt donations of hundreds of toys for our local kids.”
Salvation Army Red Shield chairman Peter Wheeler said the toy drive made a huge difference to the lives of children in need.
“Christmas is meant to be the most wonderful time of the year, but for some of these children the only way to make this a really magical time is by donating toys for them to unwrap on Christmas morning,” Mr Wheeler said.
The HIT 103.1 Toy Drive convoy will take place on Friday 13 December, picking up much-needed donated gifts from local collection points.
What makes a great HIT 103.1 Toy Drive gift?
- Gift must not be wrapped
- Open to all ages and genders
- Cannot be second-hand
- Can include toys, books, stationery, soap, shampoo and conditioner
Where can I drop off my gifts?
- Townsville City Council – 103 Walker Street, Townsville City
- HIT 103.1 – 9 Martinez Avenue, Hyde Park
- Townsville Sports Reserve – 3-9 Redpath St, North Ward
- C & K Rowes Bay Community Kindergarten – 24 Heatley’s Parade, Belgian Gardens
- Townsville Pet Resort – 2092 Hervey Range Road, Alice River
- Coca-Cola Amatil – 635 Ingham Road, Bohle
- Bupa Dental Townsville – 4/71 Stanley Street, Townsville City
- Coutts Redington Chartered Accountants – Shop 2, 278 Ross River Road, Aitkenvale
- Townsville Police Station – Corner Sturt and Stanley Streets, Townsville City