Busy recovery week ahead
Date published: 10 February 2019
Townsville Local Disaster Management Group Chair Mayor Jenny Hill and Local Recovery and Resilience Group Chair Cr Les Walker have expressed their gratitude and thanks to all agencies, organisations and residents involved in the recovery effort.
The multi-agency recovery response continues in force this week with city-wide activities occurring.
- Townsville City Council has opened a number of temporary waste disposal facilities throughout the city and has increased operating hours and personnel at some waste transfer stations.
- Townsville City Council crews will be collecting flood waste and debris in the Collection Zones until Sunday 17 February. Fees are being waived for flood-affected domestic waste throughout this event.
- Townsville City Council has a Memorandum of Understanding with Team Rubicon Australia (TRA) to help with recovery from natural disasters.
- From Wednesday, TRA will coordinate its registered volunteers to undertake controlled clean-ups of residential properties including flood waste removal, mould remediation, and general household and yard cleaning. Please register to volunteer at https://emergencyvolunteering.com.au/qld
- Australian Defence Force personnel will be operating throughout the Collection Zones on Monday and Tuesday to collect flood waste materials removed from domestic and residential properties over the weekend.
- The Queensland Fire and Emergency Service is helping clear accessways, clean houses and move flood-damaged hard rubbish to the kerb this weekend throughout the Collection Zones. Support is also being provided to residents outside of the Collection Zone at Alligator Creek, Bluewater, Gumlow and Nome.
- The Queensland Government is operating 4 Community Recovery Hub locations across the city and 5 grant programs.
- The State Emergency Service has completed more than 1,800 tasks with less than 100 remaining. Crews have started transitioning to support cleaning operations in homes impacted by floodwaters.
- Ergon Energy continues to work on restoring network supply. Ergon is aiming to have supply available to all customers impacted by the floods by Tuesday 12 February.
- GIVIT - Goods for Good Causes is working with Townsville City Council to manage donations.
For more details please visit Council’s Emergency Management Dashboard