Mayor’s Christmas Tree Appeal recipients named
Date published: 8 November 2019
Eighteen Townsville-based charity groups will benefit as recipients of this year’s Mayor’s Christmas Tree Appeal.
The Appeal, which is focused on supporting community connection through the Christmas period, raises funds to purchase food hampers for disadvantaged families across the city.
Townsville Mayor Jenny Hill said it was great to see that money raised through the Appeal continued to add value to the work of local charities.
“We have very diverse needs across our community and a multitude of agencies working hard to deliver the right services to support people,” Cr Hill said.
“The wide variety of charity groups accessing the appeal this year means we are more likely to reach the people who are doing it tough and really need support over Christmas.”
Cr Hill said she expected this year would potentially be a little tougher for some families in the city who were still struggling following February’s unprecedented monsoon.
“The holiday season is typically a time when most people’s wallets are stretched, but for some people it will go further than that this year,” she said.
“I encourage people to not only get behind the Appeal but to also take the time to check in with their neighbours and friends as Christmas approaches.
“We can all play a part in supporting our community.”
Locals can lend a hand by donating to the Mayor’s Christmas Tree Appeal online, at donation buckets across the city, by volunteering their time or by attending the Mayor’s Christmas Tree Appeal All Stars Concert later this month.
Ticket sales from the Mayor’s Christmas Tree Appeal All Stars Concert, which will be held at the Civic Theatre on Tuesday 26 November, will all go toward fundraising efforts.
The concert is the first of its kind in Townsville and includes a variety of Townsville’s best performers.
Tickets are available from What's On Townsville.
- ADRA Community Pantry Townsville
- Australian Red Cross - Homestay, Street 2 Home & Targeted Family Support Program (Aitkenvale)
- Australian Red Cross Homelessness Service Hub
- Coast to Country Housing Company
- Cootharinga North Qld Ability First
- Family Inclusion Network
- Northreach Community Care Ltd
- North Townsville Community Hub Inc
- NQ Domestic Violence Resource Centre
- Save the Children Australia
- Sera's Women Shelter
- Sharehouse Youth Accommodation Program Inc.
- St Vincent De Paul
- TAIHS- Family Wellbeing Service
- UnitingCare - Home Stay, CASPER and ASPIRE Program
- UnitingCare Community
- UnitingCare - Family Support & Iona House
- Yumba Meta Ltd - Flora House
Keep up-to-date with handy tips and alerts before, during and after disaster events.