Council harnessing smart technology for Townsville
Date published: 24 October 2018
Townsville City Council yesterday voted to implement the Smart Townsville Community Partnership.
Smart Townsville will help guide our community to ensure Townsville makes the best use of technology for residents and businesses.
The Smart City Strategy is a key initiative of the Townsville City Deal and is part of a broader policy commitment by Council to stimulate the local economy and enhance our lifestyle.
Projects in the Smart City Strategy include:
- Online dashboards for the community to monitor Council’s performance,
- Ability for citizens to transact more Council services conveniently online
- Making Townsville a more attractive place to relocate, study, work and build a business by supporting high growth industries
- Establish Smart Precinct NQ to provide a centre to support businesses and entrepreneurs to prototype, test and scale innovative business models
Another project being considered is introducing technology to detect and notify residents of water leaks.
Mayor Jenny Hill said the Smart Townsville Community Partnership will help provide an economic framework for Townsville’s future.
“The Smart City Strategy is part of the Townsville City Deal and we are exploring ways to improve the North Queensland lifestyle and make interactions with Council simpler and easier,” Cr Hill said.
“This guideline will attract investment to the city and create jobs for locals in new industries.
“Council worked with industry experts and the community to make sure this framework is focused on real challenges facing residents – we want to improve on our North Queensland lifestyle and be a leader in innovation.”
The five pillars of the Smart Townsville Community Partnership are:
- Delivering an open and engaged Council
- Implementing a citizen centric Council
- Facilitating innovation, entrepreneurship and economic activation
- Focusing on placemaking and enhancing our lifestyle
- Delivering best practice infrastructure and asset management
Council will work with the community to implement these pillars and explore how the strategy can best inform decisions for Townsville into the future.