Asphalt, night works for CBD
Date published: 11 November 2016
Asphalting works will see staged closures in Sturt, Stanley and Walker Streets next week as part of the CBD Utilities Project.
Townsville City Council Infrastructure Committee Chairman Cr Mark Molachino said the asphalt would provide a visible improvement to the condition of several streets following excavation works undertaken in recent months as part of the project.
Works will be staged over several days, and start times adjusted to allow for the busy morning commute.
“The return of a clear and clean road surface will be a welcome addition to the CBD after the excavation works programs during recent months,” Cr Molachino said.
“Line marking work will follow in the near future, and our footpath repair and replacement work is ongoing, but it is good to see works progressing.”
The CBD asphalting will be conducted in stages between Monday 14 and Friday 18 November. Traffic will be re-opened on each street after the new surfaced has had several hours to cure.
Nightworks will also commence on Monday 14 November at the intersection of Fletcher and Flinders Street to allow for installation of a new stormwater drain across the road.
The intersection will reopen each morning with two-way traffic resuming as directed along Flinders Street. Works are scheduled for several weeks.
“We are being flexible with our working hours to accommodate the needs of businesses and residential complexes in the works area, with the next stage of road intersection excavation work at Fletcher and Flinders Street being conducted at night from 8pm to 5am,” Cr Molachino said.
Key points: -
Asphalting works – Commencing Monday 14 November
- Closure of the Closure of the Stanley-Walker Street intersection after 9am on Monday 14 November.
- Partial closure of Stanley Street (northbound lanes) on Tuesday 15 November.
- Partial closure of the Stanley-Sturt Street intersection (inbound lanes) and parking spaces along Sturt Street during Wednesday 16 November.
Night works Flinders/Fletcher – Commencing Monday 14 November
- Works will occur from 8pm to 5am each night and will require the overnight temporary closure of Flinders Street West on the CBD side of the Fletcher-Flinders Street signalised intersection.
- The intersection will reopen each morning, with two-way traffic along Flinders Street West as directed.
- Traffic outbound from the CBD along Flinders Street West will be able to access Central Village Event Cinemas, shops and accommodation through Little Fletcher Street from the access driveway just past the Townsville Bulletin. Normal access at the signalised intersection will be available.
- All night-time inbound and outbound traffic to the CBD is encouraged to use Sturt Street.
- Local traffic only should travel outbound on Flinders Street West between Blackwood Street and the work site.
People are encouraged to call the project team on 0408 972 536 with any concerns.