Feast your eyes on art when Perc Tucker Regional Gallery reopens
Date published: 10 June 2020
Anyone from art afficionados through to the average Joe can book in to visit Perc Tucker Regional Gallery to enjoy The Percivals in person from 16 June.
The gallery is phasing its reopening after garnering thousands of views of The Percivals virtual tour on the Townsville City Council website.
Community and Cultural Development Committee chairperson, Councillor Ann-Maree Greaney, said The Percivals was an exhibition not to be missed.
“The Percivals is one of Northern Australia’s premier art competitions and exhibitions. This year’s exhibition includes works of art from both the Percival Portrait Painting Prize and the Percival Photographic Portrait Prize hung together for the first time,” Cr Greaney said.
“To make sure that the public could still enjoy the exhibition during the lockdown period, Council worked with local company Top Snap Townsville to create a virtual tour of the exhibition. Since going live on 22 May, the virtual tour has been taken more than 4000 times, which is an incredible response from the community.”
Cr Greaney said it was this overwhelming response that prompted the reopening of Perc Tucker Regional Gallery under the new State Government guidelines.
“We’ll be opening Perc Tucker Regional Gallery for two sessions at 11am and 2pm on from Tuesday to Friday each week so visitors can see the incredible The Percivals exhibition in person,” she said.
“As with all outings, it’s important to maintain physical distancing and to practice good hygiene while visiting Perc Tucker.”
To book in to visit Perc Tucker Regional Gallery, call 4727 9797.
For more information about Perc Tucker Regional Gallery, head to the galleries webpage.
The Percivals quick facts
- The Percivals virtual tour has been viewed more than 4000 times since launching on 22 May
- The Percivals website had more than 4200 views in May
- The Percivals content has reached more than 30,000 people across Council’s social media channels
The Percivals winners
- Percivals Portrait Painting Prize - Jack Betteridge Costumed as an Elf: Don't F. with Me, Fellas!, Cutler Footway
- Percivals Photographic Portrait Prize - Ben and Saki, Janet Tavener
- Percivals Animal Portrait Prize – Still, Elissa Sampson
The Percivals 2020 entries
- Percival Portrait Painting Prize: 206 total entries, 127 shortlisted for competition (of the 127, 57 from QLD)
- Percival Photographic Portrait Prize: 115 total entries, 74 shortlisted for competition (of the 74, 39 from QLD)
- Animal Portrait Prize: 44 total entries, 38 shortlisted for competition (of the 38, 33 from QLD)