Temporary lane closure for CBD's Stanley St for utility upgrade works
Date published: 12 September 2017
Council’s investment in the upgrade of water and waste water services to support new development will continue next week with the start of numerous drainage, water supply and footpath upgrade activities across the CBD.
Beginning Monday, a section of the southbound lane of Stanley Street near Hanran Street will be closed, changing traffic conditions in the lower section of the CBD.
The work requires a 4-5m deep excavation trench to be dug to install a new bulk water pipeline in the southbound lanes of Stanley Street from Hanran Street to Flinders Street.
The inbound traffic lane from Lowths Bridge entering the CBD on the south side of the city from Saunders Street will be open to traffic, however the outbound lane will be closed.
Only local traffic access for residents and businesses in Hanran Street will be permitted. Pedestrian access will be retained. Work will move progressively north along Stanley Street to Flinders Street over the next two months.
At the same time, week-long temporary road closures at Stokes/Sturt Street and Denham/Sturt Street will be required during September to install new water reticulation pipework across the road.
“The changed traffic and parking conditions from Monday, September 11 may cause some inconvenience, but we are making some real progress with our CBD upgrade works,” Council’s Infrastructure Committee chair Cr Mark Molachino said.
“To date, more than $20 million of infrastructure has been delivered, replacing and upgrading 2,970m of footpaths and 6,479 metres of water main and sewer pipe.
“We are getting close to the half way point of the project, and it is important that we accelerate our works during the dry time of year to keep to schedule and minimise the risk of weather related delays.”
The major excavations required in Stanley Street during the next two months will link up with earlier work to install a large bulk water pipeline. The pipe will connect up with a new pipeline installed during the 2015 and 2016 works in the higher end of Stanley Street.
“Drivers should take care with the changed traffic conditions and follow directional signage and detours where necessary,” Cr Molachino said.
The work in Stokes Street will affect Sun Bus routes on Sturt Street. Customers will be redirected via signage to use the existing bus stops one street away on Walker Street during this period.
The project is also busy working its way along Sturt, Walker and Flinders Streets installing new water reticulation pipework and replacing and upgrading city footpaths.
“This work is an important investment in refreshing and upgrading the capacity of our city,” Cr Molachino said.
“The works will continue to be staged in their location around the CBD to ensure our city heart remains open for business.”
Cr Molachino said the project team continued to work well with business operators, property owners and transport providers to minimise impacts as much as possible.
“Traffic management plans have been designed and approved to maintain access for businesses and to keep traffic flowing through the CBD as best we can around the work site,” Cr Molachino said.
“I encourage people to take note of the detour and signage advising of alternative traffic routes and to follow the direction of traffic controllers as required.”
Works along Stanley Street will be carried out in several stages to minimise impacts on business and residents in the city.
Key works activities in CBD
- Stanley Street: (downhill/outbound between Hanran/Ogden to Flinders Street) Road closure, local traffic only – (excavation, bulk water installation): 8 weeks
- Stokes Street (btw Walker and Sturt): Temporary Road closure – (reticulation) -1 week, 11-15 Sept
- Sturt Street (at Denham Street) Temporary Road closure – (reticulation) -1 week 18-22 September
- Flinders inbound (reticulation between Blackwood and Stanley St.) parking bay and lane closure – (reticulation) 6-8 weeks
- Sturt St nth (Stokes to Denham) – 4 weeks, Parking lane closures – (reticulation)
- Walker St South (Denham/Dalgety building to Stokes St) Parking Bay closures (footpaths)
- Stokes Street Bus stop relocation (x 2) to Walker Street
- Denham St East (Flinders Cnr) Parking Bay closure (potholing) - 1 week
- Stokes Street west (btw Walker and Wills) Lane closure - (potholing and early excavation) – 2 weeks+. Work will commence once Denham Street is finished.