Tenders called for next section of Haughton pipeline
Date published: 11 May 2020
Townsville City Council is looking for local businesses to construct the next section of pipe that will eventually link Ross River Dam with the Burdekin River at Clare.
Mayor Jenny Hill said the 3.8 kilometre section of pipe would connect with work currently underway to extend the pipeline from the Haughton River.
“The Council is looking ahead with confidence to stage 2,” Cr Hill said.
“The Federal Government’s commitment to fund stage 2 means Council has been able to get a head start on works to connect the two stages.
“In February NQ Excavations was awarded one tender for construction of the Haughton River Crossing. This work commenced last week.
“Council has now also issued a call for tenders for the construction of a further 3.8km section of pipeline which completes the connection to stage 2.”
The extension to stage one of the Haughton Pipeline Duplication Project is being funded by the Queensland Government.
Member for Townsville Scott Stewart said the government was committed to delivering water security for Townsville.
“The Queensland Government has provided $225 million in funding to ensure Townsville has the water security it needs to thrive now and in 50 years from now,” Mr Stewart said.
“In addition to providing water security, this funding is driving job creation. Since work on stage 1 started more than 1000 local jobs have been supported and this number is set to increase with the work to prepare for stage 2.”
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the State Government provided funding for the project because it supported jobs and water security for Townsville.
“As well as getting on with the vital provision of water for Townsville, this means jobs for local industry,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“All of this adds up to water security and economic stimulus from a project that is on time and on budget.”
Townsville Council Water and Waste Committee Chair Russ Cook said work associated with the latest tender should be complete by the end of the year.
“Council has specifically broken the package of works down into smaller parcels of work to give local businesses the opportunity to tender for it,” Cr Cook said.
“This approach was successful for stage one and our local businesses have shown that they are very capable of working on a project of this size.
“The tender for this latest section is open from Saturday and works are expected to be completed by the end of the year.”