Need for cool pets heats up as Townsville summer sets in
Date published: 23 November 2021
Keep your pet cool, calm and comfortable this summer by using a couple of easy tricks around your home.
Pets of all shapes and sizes need a way to escape the heat as Townsville warms up, especially cats and dogs.
Community Health, Safety and Environmental Sustainability Committee chairperson Maurie Soars said hot weather was equally as dangerous for animals as humans.
“Pets at home need some extra help to beat the heat during summer, especially here in Townsville where temperatures soar and it becomes very humid,” Cr Soars said.
“An easy way to make your pet more comfortable at home during summer is by giving them tools to cool down during the day.
“This can include adding ice cubes to your pet’s water bowl, having damp towels for your pets to lie down on, and making sure that there are shaded spots for your pet to lounge in during the day.”
Cr Soars said having summer-safe habits with your pet were also important.
“Pick a cool time of the day to walk your dog, either in the early morning or around dusk. This will help prevent your dog’s paws burning on the ground or your dog getting heat stroke,” he said.
“If you have to put your pet in the car, make sure it’s in a well-ventilated area and is never left alone in the car with the windows closed.”
Cool pet tips
- Walk your dog during the cooler parts of the day. Remember if the bitumen burns your feet, it will burn paws.
- Add ice cubes to their water bowl to keep the water cool.
- Set up a paddling pool for your dog.
- Put out damp towels for your pet to sleep on.
- Avoid the car when it’s hot – and never leave your pet alone in it.
- Make sure your pet has access to shade.
- Make pet safe frozen treats for pets to lick.
- Leave aircon or fan on for indoor pets.
- Provide a shady spot to snooze in when they get too hot.
Visit our Townsville City Animals web pages for more tips on animal management.