Each and every day throughout Townsville there are countless senior residents who volunteer their time, contributing to the wellbeing of the Townsville community. Across our community, these volunteers connect people and provide services to others. The knowledge, skill, commitment and energy displayed by Townsville's senior residents is overwhelming.
These volunteers give their time, energy and skills without seeking public recognition or accolades for their contribution. The Townsville City Council Senior Awards have been designed to provide public thanks to those quiet achieving seniors who give so much to our city.
Nominations for 2018 are now open
How to nominate a volunteer
The Townsville City Council Seniors Awards are open to people aged over 60 who have voluntarily given their time for the good of the Townsville community. The volunteer activities must have occurred within the city of Townsville.
Nominations must be received by 5pm Monday 30 July, 2018.
- The nominee must be 60 years of age or over as at 1 July 2018.
- The nominee must be a permanent resident of Townsville.
- The nominee's activity must have been on a voluntary basis (unpaid) within the city of Townsville.
- You cannot nominate yourself.
- The nominee must be aware of this nomination and be willing to accept an award.
- The nominator must be willing to act as a referee for the nominee.
- You may nominate a family member. However, if nominator is a family member, a referee must be provided.
- The information contained in this nomination must be completed in full and be true and correct to be accepted.
- A separate nomination form must be submitted for each nominee.
- Current members of the selection committee will not be considered for a Townsville City Council Seniors Award.
- The selection committee’s decision on the 2018 Townsville City Council Seniors Awards winner is final.
Award presentations will be held during the Townsville City Council Seniors Week Luncheon at Townsville Stadium, on Thursday 23 August 2018, 10.30am - 1.30pm.
2017 Seniors Awards Winners and Nominees
Female Senior of the Year
Mrs Olive Foley
Mrs Foley has contributed tirelessly to the Queensland Country Women's Association (QWCA) since joining in 2000. She plays a huge part in the QCWA Magnetic Garbutt Branch supporting and mentoring new members and the committee, and is the embodiment of QCWA ‘A Friend To All’. Mrs Foley has also volunteered for Lifeline, The Endeavour Foundation, Meals on Wheels, Rowes Bay Ladies Golf Club, Mundingburra State School, Central School and Pimlico High School.
Male Senior of the Year
Mr Barry Martin OAM
Mr Martin created the Vietnam Veterans Federation in Townsville over 30 years ago. Since then, he has served as President for many years, as well as Senior Vice President of the national body. Mr Martin is a qualified advocate and welfare officer and personally supports a large number of veterans and their families in Townsville. He is also one of the original creators of the Townsville Men's Shed, which opened in 2009.
Special Commendation Award
Mrs Janice and Mr Allen Bishop
Mr and Mrs Bishop have made outstanding contributions to the community through dedicated volunteering over many years. Both are highly-valued volunteers at Ozcare Villa Vincent, supporting residents, their families and other volunteers.
- Mrs Susie Bayley
- Mrs Winifred Gresty
- Miss Joanne Hattingh
- Mrs Margaret Purdon
- Mrs Norel Walsh
- Mr Kenneth Christie
- Mr John Jackson