We recognise the significant value of young people and their contributions to the community.
Through our grants program, we assist community groups in providing opportunities, effective youth services, and projects throughout the Townsville region.
Townsville Youth Council (TYC)
"12 to 25 in age, 12 to 25 in strength".
The Townsville Youth Council is now recruiting.
What Does the TYC Do?
The role of the TYC is to represent young people, communicate and liaise with the community, and organise projects and events in order to improve the status of all young people and provide greater opportunities. This is achieved in a number of ways including:
- Establishing and supporting a channel for young people to provide feedback, communication, information, and innovation to Townsville City Council, other levels of government, and the community.
- Identifying key issues relating to young people in the Townsville area and actively participating in strategies to address these.
- Raising the profile of young people in Townsville and promoting their contribution to community life.
- Maintaining an inclusive and representative membership of the TYC which encourages and supports participation of young people from a broad range of life experiences and future aspirations.
- Providing the opportunity for young people to experience civic decision making processes and supporting their own active participation in these processes.
TYC members are appointed to be a part of an advisory, consultative, and action group within the Townsville region. There is no set timeframe for membership. Members are able to commit to TYC for a timeframe that suits them. This allows consistency in involvement and progress of TYC actions plus recognises members who wish to commit to long-term involvement with TYC.
Who Can Join the TYC?
You are a sure candidate for membership in TYC if you are:
- aged between 12-25
- living in Townsville
- passionate about improving the quality of youth life in Townsville
- have an interest in youth-related issues
- enjoy engaging with and sharing great ideas with other like-minded young people
- can attend fortnightly Tuesday meetings from 5pm to 7pm.
Why Join the TYC?
- Play a role in improving life for young people in Townsville
- The chance to work with key decision-makers in the community
- Engaging with and networking with other likeminded young people
- The fun factor and the challenge!
How are TYC Members Chosen?
We aim to have a diverse group of young people involved in the Townsville Youth Council. Members will be selected on their ability to identify current and emerging youth issues and communicate between Youth Council and the wider community.
Emerging Youth Leaders Program
The Emerging Youth Leaders Program is an opportunity for Townsville’s youth in years 10-12 to network, build leadership skills and learn how they can be advocates for important community issues.
The 2023 Emerging Youth Leaders Program was held on 3 – 5 May 2023. The exciting three-day program focussed on discovering leadership through passion, purpose and vulnerability. Participants were empowered and inspired by keynote speakers and workshops covering leadership, public speaking, cultural conversations and self-expression through creative art.
The Emerging Youth Leaders Program is presented by Townsville City Council and Townsville Youth Council.
For information about upcoming programs follow Townsville Youth Council’s Facebook page.