|Youth Arts Hub @ NAFA 2023|
The Youth Arts Hub is a fringe program within NAFA and includes 3 days of workshops and performances for young people in Townsville held from 30 June to 2 July 2023.
Young people in Townsville will have the chance to access and try different arts and cultural experiences, explore, and connect with opportunities already on offer in our great city as well as participate in several workshops for FREE provided by nationally recognised performing artists.
Special youth-centred performances and the Youth Pride Walk and Pride Picnic will also be included in this year's fringe program.
The Youth Arts Hub @ NAFA 2023 has been designed by Youth, will be delivered by Youth, for the Youth. This event is only open for young people aged 12 - 25 years old.
|Youth Pride Walk & Community Pride Picnic|
Join Townsville Youth Council for the annual Youth Pride Walk on 2 July 2023.
Celebrate LGBTQIA+ social and self-acceptance, achievements, legal rights and pride!
Meet at 2pm at The Strand Rockpool Headland (look for the Townsville Youth Council gazebo).
Walking route from The Strand Rockpool Headland towards the NAFA Festival Hub at Strand Park concluding at 4pm.
Be outrageous. Wear your brightest. Make it a vibe. Celebrate pride!
The Community Pride Picnic will follow on from the Youth Pride Walk from 4pm in the NAFA Festival Hub at Strand Park.
There will be live music, a wellbeing space, market stalls, roaming queens and prizes for best dressed pet!
Everyone is invited! Registrations for both the Walk and Picnic are essential.
Townsville City Council recognises the significant value of young people and their contributions to the community.
Council, through its grants program, assists community groups in providing opportunities, effective youth services and projects throughout the Townsville region.
Townsville Youth Council
'12 to 25 in age, 12 to 25 in strength'
The Townsville Youth Council is now recruiting. If you are aged between 12-25, living in Townsville, and have an interest in youth-related issues, you can apply to become a member. The application process can be completed online!
The role of the Townsville Youth Council (TYC) is to represent young people, communicate and liaise with the community, and organise projects and events in order to improve the status of all young people and provide greater opportunities. This is achieved in a number of ways including:
- Establishing and supporting a channel for young people to provide feedback, communication, information, and innovation to Townsville City Council, other levels of government, and the community.
- Identifying key issues relating to young people in the Townsville area and actively participating in strategies to address these.
- Raising the profile of young people in Townsville and promoting their contribution to community life.
- Maintaining an inclusive and representative membership of the TYC which encourages and supports participation of young people from a broad range of life experiences and future aspirations.
- Providing the opportunity for young people to experience civic decision making processes and supporting their own active participation in these processes.
TYC members are appointed to be a part of an advisory, consultative, and action group within the Townsville region. There is no set timeframe for membership. Members are able to commit to TYC for a timeframe that suits them. This allows consistency in involvement and progress of TYC actions plus recognises members who wish to commit to long-term involvement with TYC.
Who can apply to join the Townsville Youth Council?
If you live in Townsville, are between the ages of 12 to 25 years old, passionate about improving the quality of youth life in Townsville, can attend fortnightly Tuesday meetings from 5pm to 7pm and enjoy engaging with and sharing great ideas with other like-minded young people, then you are a sure candidate for membership in the Youth Council.
Download a copy of the Townsville Youth Council Terms of Reference (PDF)
For your membership application, contact the Community Development Officer on 13 48 10 or email us.
If you would like to be kept up to date on Townsville Youth Council information, projects and activities please email us and ask to be added to the Townsville Youth Council emailing list.
What are the benefits of being involved?
- Play a role in improving life for young people in Townsville
- The chance to work with key decision-makers in the community
- Engaging with and networking with other likeminded young people
- The fun factor and the challenge!
How are members selected?
We aim to have a diverse group of young people involved in the Townsville Youth Council. Members will be selected on their ability to identify current and emerging youth issues and communicate between Youth Council and the wider community.
For further information contact council's Community Development Officer 13 48 10 or email us.