Level 3 water restrictions are now in force within the Townsville area. This excludes Cungulla and Paluma Township service areas (see below for more information).
Level 3 - what it means for me
As a city, we should be using 100ML of water per day or less to meet our daily consumption target and make sure the small amount of water we have left in our dam lasts for as long as possible.
On the spot fines will be issued to those not complying with water restrictions.
Residential >> $365
Commercial >> $1,828
Residential, rural and commercial lawns and gardens (including school grounds/gardens)
- No sprinkler or irrigation systems
- Handheld watering only 6am-7am and 6pm-7pm (odd and evens system applies)
Handheld watering means that you are watering your garden with a hose that you are holding on to. Buckets, watering cans and drip water systems can be used at any time.
Even houses - Tuesday and Saturday
Odd houses - Wednesday and Sunday
- Switch off all automatic watering systems
- Use a broom to clean hard surfaces (not a hose)
- Use a bucket or water efficient car wash to clean vehicles and boats
- 56% reduction in irrigation
- No watering between 9am and 4pm
Sports fields (including school sports fields), commercial nurseries and market gardens
- Special considerations have been made for Townsville's sporting clubs, commercial nurseries and market gardens which rely heavily on water for their day to day operations
New turf exemptions
Council has approved for exemptions for new turf to continue into Level 3 restrictions.
Please note: Level 3 exemptions will cease to be available at a nominated time prior to the implementation of Level 4 restrictions (actual date to be determined by Ross Dam levels)
Townsville’s water supply system is divided into three service areas on the basis of different water sources, being:
- Townsville – serviced from Ross River Dam, Crystal Creek/Paluma Dam system and
the Burdekin system.
- Paluma Township – serviced by the Paluma system from a local creek.
- Cungulla – serviced by the Giru Water Treatment Plant from the Haughton River.
Townsville's water - Love Every Drop
- Water Restrictions Information Sheet (PDF, 326.7 KB) - A complete breakdown of water the different levels of restrictions mean for different property types.
- Our Water - Love Every Drop Fact Sheet (PDF, 911.4 KB) - Explains the delicate balance of our dam levels and why we need to Love Every Drop.
- The Value of Water (PDF, 3.1 MB) - Shows the journey of water from the dam to your tap.
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 280.6 KB) - Answers to the most frequently asked questions about water restrictions.
- Residential Restrictions (PDF, 172.0 KB) - A quick guide to water restrictions for residential properties.