New Water Conservation Measures
Water conservation measures are currently in place within the Townsville area to help ensure the city’s water security as part of Council’s Water Demand Management Strategy. These measures will remain in place while Council’s 3-point water security solution is delivered. Further to this, Council will consult the community to develop a permanent water conservation and saving program.
New water conservation measures - what it means for me
Council understands how important our water is and is striving to preserve this precious resource whilst still allowing residents to use water when they need it. As a city we need to use our water wisely to ensure Townsville’s water supply is secure now and into the future.
Although these measures provide residents with more flexibility over their watering times, it is important to keep in mind that gardens only need 4-6 hours of watering per week to thrive. Watering times should also be reduced following periods of rainfall.
Residential, rural and commercial lawns and gardens
(including school grounds/gardens)
- Sprinklers can be used between 5pm-8am (odd and evens system)
- Specifically from 5pm on your allocated day until 8am the following day
- Even houses: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday
- Odd houses: Wednesday, Friday and Sunday
- The odds and even's system is designed to minimise impact on the city's water reticulation system
- Handheld watering with a trigger nozzle can be done at any time on any day, although we recommend the early mornings and evenings where possible
Remember that weeper hoses are most effective when used on garden beds and covered by mulch, they are not recommended for use on exposed areas like lawn.
Washing hard surfaces, vehicles and boats
- We recommend using pressure washers or a hose using a trigger nozzle attached
Sports fields (including school sports fields)
- Water Efficiency Management Plans will still apply
Commercial nurseries and market gardens
- Watering between 5pm-8am on odds and evens system
- Contact Council to arrange for an expert to develop a water efficiency plan for your business
Council’s 3-point water security solution will deliver long-term water security for Townsville and includes:
- The new 1.8-metre diameter pipeline
- A recycled water reuse scheme for public open spaces and industrial use
- Water Smart Package
As part of the 3-point water security solution, it is intended that selected Council parks and gardens will transition to using recycled water once the recycled water reuse scheme is operational.
Townsville residents can still register their interest for the Water Smart Package which will go live later this year.
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to frequently asked questions about interim water conservation measures.
- Download our Interim Water Conservation Measures FAQ's (PDF, 150.2 KB)