2017/18 Budget - Budget drives good deal for road spending
Date published: 27 June 2017
Major roads upgrades at two key intersections are highlights in the 2017/18 City Budget.
Townsville City Council will pump $36.6M into upgrades, reconstruction, reseals and overlays of 111 streets and other priority projects to support the city’s growth.
A further $8.7 million will be invested in strengthening the city’s drainage network with $3.3 million allocated to replace kerb and channel across the city in suburbs including North Ward, Currajong, Hermit Park, Hyde Park, Kelso, Kirwan, Aitkenvale, and West End.
Key roads projects include a $3.4M upgrade to the Ingham Road and Webb Drive intersection, and, and $2.5M upgrade to commence at the Dalrymple Road and Greenview Drive intersection in Mount Louisa including the installation of traffic signals.
Infrastructure Committee chair Cr Mark Molachino said the works have been prioritised based on community feedback and on-site inspections.
“The council is continuing to invest in protecting our existing roads and drainage networks in this year’s budget, while still building new infrastructure to provide benefits for the future,” Cr Molachino said.
“This includes the fast-tracking of the Greenview Drive intersection works that were originally planned in a few years, but the community needs the upgrades now and I am happy to say we are delivering.
“I am also proud that $1million has been included in the budget to improve some of our rural roads.”
- $6.5M to reconstruct sections of 20 streets and roads including Seventh Avenue, Blanes Street, Doorey Street, O’Donnell Street, Park Street, Powell Street, Sherriff Street, Coora Street, Marks Street, Finette Court, Katie Court.
- $9M for reseals and overlays on 91 streets including Droguet Court, Planet Place, Stanton Terrace, Allen Street, Alpina Place, Andrews Court, Anne Street, Arlington Court, Dalrymple Road, Franco Court, Bellamy Street, Crowder Street, Henrietta Street, Lindeman Avenue, Moreton Bay Court, Paul James Drive, Bottlebrush Court.
- $3.4M upgrade to the Ingham Road and Webb Drive intersection.
- $2.5M upgrade to the Dalrymple Road and Greenview Intersection.
- $1M of reconstruction of the underground stormwater drains on Lamington Street and Ingham Road to improve drainage.
- $1.7M for the First Street, Railway Avenue drainage reconstruction.
- $3.3M to replace kerb and channel in 16 streets.