|Goal||4. A sustainable destination that embraces and participates in the arts, sports and events and recreational activities.|
|Strategic Purpose||To co-locate a modern and innovative library facility with the Pinnacles Art Gallery and outside amenities including free public swimming pools.|
Townsville City Council announced $5.5 million in the 2021/22 Budget to relocate the Thuringowa Library into the Riverway Arts Precinct.
The move encompasses an overhaul of the current Riverway Arts Centre, creating a future focused, mixed-use facility that catalyses new industries, provides safe 24 hour community facilities and a space for local businesses to operate and innovate.
The relocation will co-locate a modern and innovative library facility with outside amenities including free public swimming pools, a 'creative hub' supporting physical fabrication and digital production (audio, music and video podcasting), experimentation, collaboration and knowledge sharing, 24 hour community facilities and safe spaces for at-risk young people, parenting rooms, business lounge and 24hr meeting rooms to support the growing remote workforce.
- 13/05/2022 - Works set to begin on new addition to Riverway community precinct
- 31/12/2021 - Tender opens for new library at Riverway
- 23/06/2021 - Boost for libraries in 2021-22 budget
- 28/06/2021 - Community consultation on the new Riverway Library open now
- 06/08/2021 - Residents have their say on new Riverway Library