Short Story Competition
Everybody has a story to tell, let’s celebrate our region and its stories!
Write a story on the theme My life in the North and WIN! (T&C’s apply)
There are three age categories to apply for:
- Children up to 11 years: max 500 words
- Young adults 12 – 17 years: max 1000 words
- Adults 18+: Max 2000 words
Entries for the 2020 Short Story competition have now closed.
2020 Short Story Competition Winners
|A Finding of Solace by Damien Lawardorn||Chalk by Helene Kotzas-Lazaredes|
Young Adult Category
|Death Amongst the Wallangarra by Lily Reeves||The Riverside by Ethan Craperi|
|Grandma's House by Brooklyn Pritchard||A New Cycle by Tien Ern Chan|
View the winning stories
|Children (up to 11 years)||max 500 words||
1st Prize - $200 Cash |
2nd Prize - $100 Cash
|Young Adult (12 - 17 years)||max 1000 words||
1st Prize - $300 Cash|
2nd Prize - $150 Cash
|Adult (18+)||max 2000 words||
1st Prize - $500 Cash|
2nd Prize - $250 Cash
Competition Terms & Conditions
- Entry to the competition is open to residents of Townsville local government area, with the exception of Townsville City Council employees and their immediate families.
- The competition is for amateur and novice writers only.
- Writers may only submit one entry each.
- All entries must be previously unpublished original fiction works and must not have won prizes, contracts or cash in any other competition.
- Copyright will remain the property of the author.
- All entries must be typed with double line spacing in Microsoft Word with page numbers. Stories that exceed the word limit will be deemed ineligible.
- Manuscripts will not be returned.
- Entries that fail to comply with all the conditions with not be considered. The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winners and runners-up will have their stories published on Townsville City Council's website.
- Winners and runners-up may be required to participate in media opportunities.