Short Story Competition
Short Story Competition 2019
Everybody has a story to tell.
Write a story on the theme ‘be brave, be bold, be brilliant’ and win!
Entries close 5pm Saturday 3 August.
Your age category will determine your maximum word count:
- Children up to 11 years: max 500 words
- Young adults 12 – 17 years: max 1000 words
- Adults 18+: Max 2000 words
Each category has the opportunity to win the following:
- Children category
1st prize - $200
2nd prize - $100
- Young adult category
1st prize - $300
2nd prize - $150
- Adult category
1st prize - $500
2nd prize - $250
Simply fill out the Short Story Competition 2019 submission form to enter.
Competition Terms & Conditions
- Entry to the competition is open to residents of Townsville local government area, with the exception of Townsville City Council employees and their immediate families.
- The competition is for amateur and novice writers only.
- Writers may only submit one entry each.
- All entries must be previously unpublished original fiction works and must not have won prizes, contracts or cash in any other competition.
- Copyright will remain the property of the author.
- All entries must be typed with double line spacing in Microsoft Word with page numbers. Stories that exceed the word limit will be deemed ineligible.
- Manuscripts will not be returned.
- Entries that fail to comply with all the conditions with not be considered. The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winners and runners-up will have their stories published on Townsville City Council's website.
- Winners and runners-up may be required to participate in media opportunities.