One Title One Townsville
Join the One Title One Townsville book club. A book club the whole community is invited to.
One Title One Townsville Event
Come together, meet, listen, and participate in a book club style Q&A with Maryrose Cuskelly, author of The Cane. This will be part of the Festival of Stories in June. More information to come.
|The Cane - Maryrose Cuskelly|
Maryrose Cuskelly is a writer of fiction and non-fiction. She has lived in Melbourne for many years, but she was born in Queensland, where, in the early 1970s, there were several high-profile child abductions and murders. The disappearance of Mackay schoolgirl Marilyn Wallman, in particular, made a lasting impression on her.
In 2016, Maryrose was awarded the New England Thunderbolt Prize for Crime Writing (non-fiction) for her essay 'Well Before Dark' about Marilyn's disappearance and the way it percolated through her own childhood and later life. The Cane returns to some of the themes and preoccupations of that essay.
In 2019, Maryrose's book Wedderburn: A true tale of blood and dust (Allen & Unwin, 2018) was longlisted for Best Debut and Best True Crime in the 2019 Davitt Awards. She is also the author of Original Skin: Exploring the marvels of the human hide (Scribe, 2010) and The End of Charity: Time for social enterprise (with Nic Frances, Allen & Unwin, 2008), which was the winner of the Iremonger Award.
ONE MISSING GIRL. NO SUSPECTS. A TOWN ABOUT TO IGNITE.
Previous One Title One Townsville books
- 2020 - Sand Talk by Tyson Yunkaporta
- 2019 - Boys Will Be Boys by Clementine Ford
- 2018 - The Better Son by Katherine Johnson
- 2017 - Reckoning by Magda Szubanski
- 2016 - Coal Creek by Alex Miller
- 2015 - Nest by Inga Simpson
- 2014 - The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
- 2013 - The Italian Girl by Rebecca Huntley
- 2012 - The Fix by Nick Earls
- 2011 - Affection by Ian Townsend
- 2010 - Journey to the Stone Country by Alex Miller