27/03/2020 - Townsville City Council are offering free registrations for dogs and free cat permits (up to 2 cats) to help out during the COVID-19 pandemic.
This page has online payment information for registering a dog for the first time, or renewing either a dog registration or cat approval.
Go to the Animal Registration and Legislation page for information on:
- how many dogs, cats or other animals you are allowed to have in the Townsville local government area
- what approvals are required and application forms
- how to apply for dog registration and animal approvals in person or by post.
For more information on animal fees and charges, please visit Council's Fees and Charges page.
New dog registration
All dogs, including puppies, must be registered within 14 days of acquisition or moving to Townsville, and wear a registration tag. Annual dog registration costs differ depending on whether the dog is desexed or entire, and whether the owner is eligible for a pensioner concession or reciprocal council registration.
Reciprocal registration is a transfer of the balance of the current year's registration of an animal from one local government area to another. You still need to complete a dog registration form, but there is no fee to register in the current registration period. You will need to use the PDF form if applying for reciprocal dog registration.
Annual registration and approvals need to be renewed by 31 August each year.
Dog registration renewals
Registration renewals will be mailed out in August of each year. Annual registration needs to be renewed by 31 August each year.
- Renew dog registration online
- View and print your Dog Registration Renewal online
- Change your animal registration details
To renew a dog registration online, you MUST have received a renewal notice from Townsville City Council, as this will have a reference number you will need to use.
|Please note: A separate registration renewal form for each dog and a valid email address is required. Follow the prompts (remember to enter your name as it appears on the notice) and instructions to renew the registration for each dog.|
It's easy and convenient to receive your Animal Registration Renewal Notices direct to your email inbox.
Register below to opt-in to receive your animal registration notice by email. It's easy and convenient to receive your notices direct to your email inbox. Simply register below to opt-in to receive your notices through email. You can then download, save, print or just leave the notices in your inbox to access and pay on the go.
We are proud to be delivering this “Go Green, Go Paperless” initiative and moving towards a more sustainable future by providing your animals notice and rates notice via email. (No paper copy will be issued).
This initiative will allow you:
- to easily access, print and reprint notices wherever they are
- conveniently store notices electronically
- receive your notice promptly delivery earlier notice – faster than standard mail
- cost savings through reduced paper, printing, envelopes and postage
- reduces our carbon footprint
- ability to change the delivery method at any time (add additional emails, revert to post etc.)
NOTE: Registration received will take effect for the next renewal notice issued.
How to Subscribe to eNotices
If you already have a unique reference number
Have you recently received an animal notice with a unique eNotice reference number?
If yes, register for eNotices on the button below.
Your unique reference number will be shown on your notice. You will have your own individual reference number, as shown on the example to your right.
Click on the "Sign Up" tab.
Enter in your email address and eNotices Reference Number (find this number next to the eNotices logo on your notice).
Check your email inbox and click the validation link.
Select a password and mobile number
That’s it! You will now receive notices in your email inbox, and can login to view them online at any time.
Cat approval renewals
- Renew cat approval online
- View and print your Cat Approval Renewal online
- Change your animal registration details
To renew a cat approval online, you MUST have received a renewal notice from Townsville City Council, as this will have a reference number you will need to use.
Please note: Follow the prompts (remember to enter your name as it appears on the notice) and instructions to renew.
- A cat approval is for one to two cats per property. If you wish to keep more than two cats, you must apply for approval either for three to six cats, or for a cattery (go to the Animal Registration and Legislation page for more information).
Note: Magnetic Island and Paluma Range area residents are restricted to one cat per property.