Abandoned Vehicles

The definition of an abandoned vehicle is any unregistered motorised vehicle, trailer, caravan, horse float or similar found on any road or in any park or on other land under the control of council which appears to be abandoned or discarded.

  • What if the vehicle is still registered?
    • If the vehicle is still registered, we cannot take action unless the vehicle is parked in a position that is a hazard or danger to motorists.
  • What steps will be taken to effect removal?
    • We will locate the vehicle and endeavour to determine the owner of the vehicle in the vicinity and request them to move the vehicle within their property boundary.

      If however the owner of the vehicle is not located the council officer will affix to the vehicle a Notice under the Transport Operations (Road Use and Management) Act 1995 stipulating that unless the owner removes the vehicle within a period of seven (7) days council will remove it to their auction site.

      Should the vehicle hold some form of identification, i.e. number plates or registration sticker a search will be conducted by us in an attempt to determine the last known owner of the vehicle. Subsequently the owner will be notified that failure to effect removal of the vehicle within a period of seven (7) days will result in seizure and removal by us.

      Following expiration of the specified period a further inspection will be conducted to determine if removal has taken place. Should this not be the case proceedings will be instigated to have the vehicle removed to their auction site.

  • What action should I take if my vehicle is missing from the roadway?
    • Immediately telephone the Police Department to ensure your vehicle has not been stolen.

      If the vehicle has been removed by us under the Transport Operations (Road Use and Management) Act 1995, it can be reclaimed if proof of ownership or authority to act on the owners behalf is provided and payment of fees has been affected. Confirmation that the vehicle has been detained can be obtained by contacting us.

  • What happens to unclaimed vehicles seized by council?


For more information, please phone 13 48 10 or contact Environmental Health Services.