Black Weir boating permits
Due to high demand, all water ski vessels require a permit to operate on Black Weir. General boating and fishing vessels do not require a permit. The system allows you to book up to seven days in advance.
Temporary Waterway Barrier Notification
Temporary waterway barriers (or booms) have been inserted into Black Weir to assist with current weed management, including weed harvesting. One is located within the 6 knot zone between Zone’s A and B (adjacent to the Vickers Bridge), the other located in the 6 knot zone at the Zone C/D junction (approx. 100m upstream of the Loam Island Community Facility).
It is safe for motorised vessels to travel over these barriers (at the 6 knot speed limit through each zone), however there will also be a slip zone at one end to transverse through if required.
Booking a permit
Each permit is valid for one hour and users are able to book up to three hours (permits) in one day.
Important Changes to Recreational Use – Black Weir
At the direction of Maritime Safety Queensland, under Marine Safety Notice:
Please see the attached Marine Notice for more information.
Aquatic Events that require Loam Island boat ramp closure
|Schools Team Time Trials||Saturday 21 July||6am - 10am||All zones|
|All Schools Regatta 4||Sunday 22 July||6am - 6pm||All zones|
|NQ Schools Championships||Saturday 4 & Sunday 5 August||6am - 6pm||All zones|
|Head of the River Regatta||Sunday 19 August||6am - 6pm||All zones|
|NQ Club Premiership||Saturday 29 & Sunday 30 September||6am - 6pm||All zones|
Aquatic Events that allow vessel access to other zones
|Variety Charity Jet Ski||Thursday 7 June||9am - 1pm||Zone B|
|NQ Person Watercraft Event||Sunday 10 June||9am - 3pm||Zone A|
|NQ Dragon Boat Regatta||Sunday 10 June||6am - 1pm||Zone C|
|Townsville Grammar Camp||Thursday 12, Friday 13 & Saturday 14 July||5am - 3pm (Thursday & Friday)|
5am - 9am (Saturday)
|Zone B and C|
|Ryan College State Champs Training||Sunday 3 September||5am - 5pm||Zone B and C|
|Townsville Ski Club Event||Saturday 8 & Sunday 9 September||6am - 6pm||Zone C and D|
|NQ Person Watercraft Event||Sunday 9 September||9am - 3pm||Zone A|
|NQ Dragon Boat Regatta||Sunday 14 October||6am - 1pm||Zone C|
|Townsville Ski Club Event||Saturday 10 & Sunday 11 November||6am - 6pm||Zone C and D|
|NQ Person Watercraft Event||Sunday 25 November||9am - 3pm||Zone A|
Water craft use on Black Weir
- Freestyle jet skiing is not permitted on Black Weir, in accordance with Queensland Maritime Regulations.
- Jet skis may be used for water skiing under general water skiing conditions.
- During rowing club regattas all vessels must give way to rowers and must comply with a six knot/no wake limit while traversing the rowing course. Permits will not be issued for watersking in the Loam Island Circuit during rowing regattas.
- Council regulatory officers will issue infringement notices to watercraft operators who breach local laws, particularly in relation to excessive vessel noise, negligent use of vessels and operators who do not hold a valid permit.
Operating hours for motorised water sports
- Motorised Water Sports on Black Weir are allowed at specified times only.
- Hourly permits are available daily between 9am to 6pm. Users are allowed a maximum of 3 permits per day.
Vessel numbers are limited for the safety of all river users.
Any person not intending to use a booking must complete an online cancellation. Failure to cancel an unused booking online may result in a one month ban on the person/vessel involved.
For more information, please phone our Customer Service Centre on 13 48 10.