Black Weir boating permits
Due to high demand, all water ski vessels require a permit to operate on Black Weir. General boating and fishing vessels do not require a permit. The system allows you to book up to seven days in advance.
Booking a permit
Each permit is valid for one hour and users are able to book up to three hours (permits) in one day.
Scheduled Closures of Loam Island Boat Ramp
Aquatic Events that require Loam Island boat ramp closure.
Due to higher than normal submerged weed levels within Aplin’s Weir the next three rowing regattas have been moved to Black Weir. Please re-visit this page for updates on 4 June.
|Rowing Regatta||7 May 2017||6am - 6pm||All Zones (Black Weir)|
|Rowing Regatta||4 June 2017||6am - 6pm||All Zones (Black Weir)|
|Rowing Time Trial||22 July 2017||6am - 9am||All Zones (Black Weir)|
|Rowing Regatta||23 July 2017||6am - 6pm||All Zones (Black Weir)|
|Rowing Regatta||5-6 August 2017||6am - 6pm (both days)||All Zones (Black Weir)|
|Rowing Regatta||20 August 2017||6am - 6pm||All Zones (Black Weir)|
|Rowing Regatta||30 September - 1 October 2017||6am - 6pm (both days)||All Zones (Black Weir)|
Aquatic Events that allow vessels access to other zones
|NQ Personal Watercraft||26 February, 2 April, 23 April, 21 May, 18 June, 16 July, 13 August, 10 September, 15 October, 12 November, 3 December 2017||9am - 3pm||Zone A|
|Rowing Camp||18-19 March||6am - 5pm (Sat), 6am - 10am (Sun)||Zone B and C|
|Water-ski Tournament||28-30 April||12pm - 8pm (Fri), 6am - 8pm (Sat and Sun)||Zone C and D|
|Dragon Boat Regatta||21 May, 27 August, 15 October||7am - 2pm||Zone C|
|Water-ski Tournament||16-18 June||12pm - 8pm (Fri), 6am - 8pm (sat and Sun)||Zone C and D|
|Rowing Camp||6-8 July||5.30am - 3pm (Thurs and Fri), 5.30am - 8.30am (Sat)||Zone B and C|
|Rowing Camp||27-28 May||6am - 5pm (Sat), 6am - 9am (Sun)||Zone B and C|
|Water-ski Tournament||8-10 September||12pm - 8pm (Fri), 6am - 8pm (Sat and Sun)||Zone C and D|
|Water-ski Tournament||10-12 November||12pm - 8pm (Fri), 6am - 8pm (Sat and Sun)||Zone C and D|
Water craft use on Black Weir
- Freestyle jet skiing is not permitted on Black Weir, in accordance with Queensland Maritime Regulations.
- Jet skis may be used for water skiing under general water skiing conditions.
- During rowing club regattas all vessels must give way to rowers and must comply with a six knot/no wake limit while traversing the rowing course. Permits will not be issued for watersking in the Loam Island Circuit during rowing regattas.
- Council regulatory officers will issue infringement notices to watercraft operators who breach local laws, particularly in relation to excessive vessel noise, negligent use of vessels and operators who do not hold a valid permit.
Operating hours for motorised water sports
- Motorised Water Sports on Black Weir are allowed at specified times only.
- Hourly permits are available daily between 9am to 6pm. Users are allowed a maximum of 3 permits per day.
Vessel numbers are limited for the safety of all river users.
Any person not intending to use a booking must complete an online cancellation. Failure to cancel an unused booking online may result in a one month ban on the person/vessel involved.
For more information, please phone our Customer Service Centre on 1300 878 001.