The Riverway Lagoons will be re-opening on Saturday 21 September 2019 (both Upper and Lower Lagoons). There will be toilets, showers and an all ability toilet in front of the Riverway Arts Centre for public use as the existing facilities are still unavailable. In addition the toilets at Riverway Stadium will remain available for public use.
The Riverway Arts Centre, including Pinnacles Gallery, is still CLOSED due to damage from the unprecedented rain event earlier this year. The Riverway Arts Centre will remain closed until further notice until repairs have been completed and it is safe for public re-entry to the facility.
Explore what you can do at Riverway:
Things to do at Riverway
Swim in the lagoons, walk the shaded boardwalk and pathways along the river, visit Pinnacles Gallery, have a meal at the restaurant, cook a meal on the gas barbecues provided, or catch a show at the Riverway Arts Centre. Riverway is a place for everyone to relax, enjoy, and learn.
The Riverway Café is located in the Riverway Arts Centre and offers relaxed contemporary dining overlooking the lagoon. Riverway Café is the ideal venue for enjoying a coffee after the theatre, or dining on a scrumptious lunch amid the hive of activity that happens at Riverway during the day.
Free Riverway Movie Nights
Every month you can bring the family and enjoy free blockbusters on the big screen and have an entertaining evening under the stars at Riverway! The Rotary Riverway Moonlight Markets operate on Riverway Movie Nights from May until December. Visit What's On Townsville to find out when the next movie is screening!
Public art trail
If you're looking to enjoy some of the city's public art, you can take a day trip to the Riverway precinct and stroll the public art trail.
Hiring spaces at Riverway
There are a number of meeting rooms, performance spaces and parklands areas that can be hired for corporate, social amd special events.
Find out more about hiring spaces at Riverway Arts Centre.
Access and Parking
Access: Riverway is accessible from Riverway Drive, by turning into Village Boulevard at the traffic lights (the intersection of Riverway Drive, High Range Drive and Village Boulevard).
Parking: Car parking is available on site, with over 400 parks available for public use. During special events, additional car parking is opened to accommodate the large volume of patrons.
Public Transport: Sunbus runs regular services along Riverway Drive and Ross River Road, and bus pickup is also available from Willows Shoppingtown. For details, check their website at www.sunbus.com.au. Taxis are available on demand and there is a designated taxi area and drop off/pick up point at the end of Village Boulevard.
Riverway is an environment that can be enjoyed by everyone.
- The pathways within Pioneer Park are wide and unobstructed. They are signposted, well illuminated and bounded by symbolic barriers.
- The pathways are accessible for people with all abilities as they are connected by accessible ramps.
- All buildings are easily accessible with well defined entrances, and are constructed of durable materials maintaining a vibrant and beautiful environment for all to use.
- Tactile indicator tiles are provided at defined locations.
- There are disabled ramps that provide access to the swimming lagoons.
- The Riverway amphitheatre includes an viewing platform that is accessible by people with a disability.
- The platform provides easy access and uninterrupted views towards the stage.
- Hand rails are provided in appropriate places throughout the area.
- Picnic tables and drinking fountains have been selected with accessibility in mind.
- The performance space includes a infrared hearing assistance system.
Security and restrictions
Security: Many safety measures including lighting, stable pathways, closed-circuit television cameras and on-ground security are in place at Riverway.
Alcohol: Alcohol is restricted to the licensed area at the restaurant, the Riverway Arts Centre foyer during shows, and will be confined to restricted areas during festivals and major events.
Smoking: Queensland laws about smoking in public areas mean that no smoking is permitted at the swimming lagoons, Riverway Arts Centre or within 10m of any of the children's playgrounds.
Bikes and rollerblades: Please ride where signed. Skateboarding is not allowed.
Lifeguards: Lifeguards patrol the Riverway Lagoons and their hours are clearly marked on lagoon signage. As with any swimming facility, parental supervision is extremely important around the lagoon and river’s edge.
Animals: All animals brought into Riverway must remain restrained on a leash.
Riverway is a dog-friendly place. To help keep the attraction friendly for everyone, please take regard of the following:
- Must be on a leash (not more than 2m) at all times
- Not permitted on the beach, in the swimming lagoon area, in fountains, shower areas or waterways
- Not permitted in any eating areas within the parks
- Must be well behaved
- Must abide by the Townsville City Council's Animal Local Laws
- Dangerous dogs/breeds are not permitted in the parks
- Must be with your dog at all times
- Must ensure that your dog is not a nuisance - you may be asked to remove your dog from the parks
- Must clean up your doggy doo immediately and place in designated bins throughout Riverway
- Report any incidences to the Riverway Arts Centre facility admin
Some other rules:
- Properly supervise children, particularly around waterways. Please obey the signage and directions of the lifeguards
- Please do not litter
- Swimming is only allowed in swimming lagoons
- No fishing or swimming in the river or fountains
- Exercise due consideration for others
- No distribution of leaflets, soliciting, conducting surveys, selling goods, filming, or professional photography without written approval from Townsville City Council