Haughton Pipeline Duplication
The Haughton Pipeline Duplication Project (HPDP) involves the duplication of a fully functioning and sustainable 36.5km pipeline from the Haughton Pump Station to the Ross River Dam.
A backup to the Ross River Dam, the HPDP will provide a bulk raw water supply link to the Burdekin Haughton Water Supply Scheme. The pipeline is capable of pumping raw water into the Ross River Dam to augment or “top up” water levels during periods of very low rainfall.
Construction of the HPDP is scheduled to be completed by March 2020.
In January 2018, Premise, GHD and SMEC were awarded contracts for Project Management, Design and Owners Engineer roles respectively and are working in conjunction with Townsville City Council to deliver the Haughton Pipeline Duplication Project (HPDP) Stage 1 by March 2020.
In April 2018, Iplex was awarded the tender for the supply of 36.5km of 1.8m-diameter pipe that will provide up to 234 megalitres of water per day into the Ross Dam – allowing more water to be pumped more efficiently than the existing 1.2m diameter pipeline. This appointment will create more than 50 new direct and indirect jobs in advanced manufacturing for Townsville.
Local firm Mendi was awarded the first stage of civil works in July 2018, this package of work includes site preparation along the pipeline route, ensuring access to the work areas and removing vegetation, creating up to 50 direct and indirect jobs.
- 11.12.2019 - Haughton pipeline reaches another milestone
- 01.10.2019 - Mayor praises selfless efforts of Water Pipeline contractors
- 26.09.2019 - Water Smart Package proves a big hit with residents
- 19.09.2019 - Statement regarding Water Smart Package outcomes
- 16.07.2019 - Water package launches jobs, smart water use across city
- 27.06.2019 - Another 20 jobs flowing from Townsville’s water pipeline project
- 25.06.2019 - 2019/20 Budget - Water security projects flowing in Council Budget
- 04.06.2019 - 200 jobs and $30 million flow from Townsville pipeline
- 01.05.2019 - Council endorses process to acquire easement along pipeline alignment
- 17.04.2019 - Another milestone reached on Townsville’s new pipeline project
- 06.04.2019 - Pipeline project returning to full swing
- 15.03.2019 - Work continues on Townsville pipeline project
- 25.01.2019 - Pipeline project boosting Townsville's advanced manufacturing
- 25.01.2019 - Up to 1000 local jobs to flow from pipeline
- 24.01.2019 - First pipes installed on Townsville's water pipeline project
- 16.01.2019 - Tunnel boring machine about to bite into pipeline project
- 21.12.2018 - Construction on pipeline project reaching full thrust
- 11.12.2018 - More new jobs flowing from Townsville’s new water pipeline
- 10.12.2018 - Townsville’s new water pipeline digging up more jobs for locals
- 07.12.2018 - Second shipment of pipes arrive in Townsville for new water pipeline
- 16.11.2018 - More jobs spouting from Townsville’s water pipeline
- 04.11.2018 - Pipeline funding commitments welcomed
- 01.11.2018 - 100 local jobs from water pipeline installation
- 22.10.2018 - Townsville's new water pipeline above board as first pipe shipment arrives
- 04.10.2018 - Local job opportunities spouting from pipeline project
- 29.08.2018 - Townsville's water pipeline - on track
- 21.08.2018 - Pipeline reaches next key milestone
- 07.08.2018 - Dozens of jobs flow from pipeline as Civil Works start
- 16.07.2018 - 50 jobs created after Council awards pipeline Civil Works package to local firm Mendi
- 26.06.2018 - Budget 2018/19 - Funding to flow for new water pipeline
- 02.06.2018 - More jobs to flow from water pipeline project
- 18.05.2018 - Pipeline construction and installation EOI's to open this weekend
- 03.05.2018 - Huge interest in council's next pipeline industry information session
- 27.04.2018 - Local firms encouraged to attend pipeline information session
- 26.04.2018 - Production to restart at local pipe manufacturing facility
- 24.04.2018 - Pipe tender for new water pipeline awarded to Iplex
- 18.04.2018 - Another key milestone for the $215 million water pipeline
- 04.04.2018 - Companies shortlisted for pipe supply tender
- 16.03.2018 - Local firms encouraged to attend pipeline information session
- 06.02.2018 - New pipeline tender
- 23.01.2018 - Council awards water pipeline contracts
- Latest Project Update (PDF)
As part of Council’s commitment to maximising opportunities for local businesses to participate in the project, between November 2017 and May 2018, three community consultation sessions were held to engage local contractors, sub-contractors and suppliers and encourage engagement with the 3-point water security solution.
Any queries relating to water access should be directed to Townsville Water directly via email@example.com