Haughton Pipeline Project
|Investment||$274 million for Stage 2, $225 million for Stage 1|
|Jobs||300 for Stage 2, 1,000 for Stage 1|
|Goal||4. A sustainable destination that embraces and participates in the arts, sports and events and recreational activities.|
|Strategic Purpose||A water security initiative supporting the city’s Ross River Dam water catchment by providing greater capacity to deliver raw water into the Dam to augment or “top up” water levels during periods of very low rainfall.|
|Status||Stage 2 construction pending, Stage 1 complete|
Townsville City Council began preliminary work on Stage 2 of the Haughton pipeline in 2020.
Design work for Stage 2 of the Haughton pipeline has identified an alignment for the Stage 2 pipeline. Cost estimates are ongoing for construction and installation of approximately 30km of 1.8metre pipeline, development of a new pump station and the new power supply options required to extend the existing Stage 1 pipeline from the Haughton River to the Burdekin River in the vicinity of Clare.
A Townsville City Council and Queensland Government funded water security initiative for Townsville, the pipeline will support the city’s Ross River Dam water catchment. When complete, the water pipeline will provide greater capacity to provide raw water into the Ross River Dam to “top up” water levels for the Townsville community and industry during periods of very low rainfall.
The pipeline alignment, design and Commonwealth EPBC environmental approval are complete. The final stages of land tenure planning are being progressed for the greenfield Stage 2 project. The completed pipeline will be a major piece of infrastructure that will serve our community for over 50 years. Stage 2 of the Haughton pipeline will connect and extend the existing Stage 1 pipeline, completed in 2019, from the Haughton River to the Burdekin River near Clare.
Funded by Townsville City Council and the Queensland Government, the investment for Stage 2 is $274 million, with $195 million contributed by the Queensland Government.
Works to date include:
- All the IPLEX-manufactured, Australian made Glass Reinforced Polymer (GRP) pipes have been shipped from Adelaide to the Port of Townsville in four shiploads between September 2022 and April 2023.
- Securing Commonwealth Department of Environment and Climate Change Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation (EPBC) approval in February 2023.
- Major contracts – construction, under bore drilling, design and engineering services, contract management services, and pipe supply and numerous professional service providers have been engaged.
- Agreements have been established with major material and equipment suppliers and local construction contractors to assist with logistics of supply, selection of materials, constructability in design, risk identification, and programming of delivery.
- A Cultural Heritage Management Agreement was negotiated and signed with Bindal Traditional Owners. The Agreement was reviewed and recommitted to in December 2022.
- All bore drilling, ground survey and environmental survey work is complete.
Environmental Approval Documents
Environmental approval documents relating to Council’s projects are available on the Projects - Environmental Approval Documents page.
- 03/11/2020 - Design tender for stage 2 of water pipeline awarded
- 13/10/2020 - Further Industry briefings for stage 2 of Haughton pipeline
- 14/08/2020 - Industry briefings for stage 2 of Haughton pipeline
- 02/06/2020 - Stage 1 of Haughton pipeline project complete
- 11/05/2020 - Tenders called for next section of Haughton pipeline
- 17/02/2020 - New tender ensures water pipeline project continues to pump out jobs for locals
- 04/02/2020 - Pipeline passes pressure tests
- 17/01/2020 - Pipelines being laid for Townsville's future
- 11/12/2019 - Haughton pipeline reaches another milestone
- 01/10/2019 - Mayor praises selfless efforts of Water Pipeline contractors
- 26/09/2019 - Water Smart Package proves a big hit with residents
- 19/09/2019 - Statement regarding Water Smart Package outcomes
- 16/07/2019 - Water package launches jobs, smart water use across city
- 27/06/2019 - Another 20 jobs flowing from Townsville’s water pipeline project
- 25/06/2019 - 2019/20 Budget - Water security projects flowing in Council Budget
- 04/06/2019 - 200 jobs and $30 million flow from Townsville pipeline
- 01/05/2019 - Council endorses process to acquire easement along pipeline alignment
- 17/04/2019 - Another milestone reached on Townsville’s new pipeline project
- 06/04/2019 - Pipeline project returning to full swing
- 15/03/2019 - Work continues on Townsville pipeline project
- 25/01/2019 - Pipeline project boosting Townsville's advanced manufacturing
- 25/01/2019 - Up to 1000 local jobs to flow from pipeline
- 24/01/2019 - First pipes installed on Townsville's water pipeline project
- 16/01/2019 - Tunnel boring machine about to bite into pipeline project
- 21/12/2018 - Construction on pipeline project reaching full thrust
- 11/12/2018 - More new jobs flowing from Townsville’s new water pipeline
- 10/12/2018 - Townsville’s new water pipeline digging up more jobs for locals
- 07/12/2018 - Second shipment of pipes arrive in Townsville for new water pipeline
- 16/11/2018 - More jobs spouting from Townsville’s water pipeline
- 04/11/2018 - Pipeline funding commitments welcomed
- 01/11/2018 - 100 local jobs from water pipeline installation
- 22/10/2018 - Townsville's new water pipeline above board as first pipe shipment arrives
- 04/10/2018 - Local job opportunities spouting from pipeline project
- 29/08/2018 - Townsville's water pipeline - on track
- 21/08/2018 - Pipeline reaches next key milestone
- 07/08/2018 - Dozens of jobs flow from pipeline as Civil Works start
- 16/07/2018 - 50 jobs created after Council awards pipeline Civil Works package to local firm Mendi
- 26/06/2018 - Budget 2018/19 - Funding to flow for new water pipeline
- 02/06/2018 - More jobs to flow from water pipeline project
- 18/05/2018 - Pipeline construction and installation EOI's to open this weekend
- 03/05/2018 - Huge interest in council's next pipeline industry information session
- 27/04/2018 - Local firms encouraged to attend pipeline information session
- 26/04/2018 - Production to restart at local pipe manufacturing facility
- 24/04/2018 - Pipe tender for new water pipeline awarded to Iplex
- 18/04/2018 - Another key milestone for the $215 million water pipeline
- 04/04/2018 - Companies shortlisted for pipe supply tender
- 16/03/2018 - Local firms encouraged to attend pipeline information session
- 06/02/2018 - New pipeline tender
- 23/01/2018 - Council awards water pipeline contracts
The Haughton Pipeline Stage 2 Project is being developed with the support of the Queensland Government in association with Townsville City Council.