Haughton Pipeline Project
Townsville City Council is continuing to prepare for the start of work on Stage 2 of the Haughton pipeline. Design work for Stage 2 of the Haughton pipeline is investigating extending the existing pipeline from the Haughton River to the Burdekin River in the vicinity of Clare.
Stage 2 of the Haughton pipeline project is proceeding with tender processes underway that will see the existing pipeline extended from the Haughton River to the Burdekin River near Clare.
Funded by a $195 million contribution from the Queensland Government, the stage 2 work will involve construction around 28-30 kilometres of pipe as well as the construction of a new pump station and high voltage power supply infrastructure.
The Haughton pipeline project (HPP) proposes extending the new, larger 1200mm Stage 1 water pipeline to source water from the Burdekin River to the Ross River Dam.
A Queensland Government funded water security initiative for Townsville, the pipeline will support the city’s Ross River Dam water catchment. When complete, the HPP will provide greater capacity to provide raw water into the Ross River Dam to augment or “top up” water levels during periods of very low rainfall.
Construction of stage 1 of the 36.5km, 1.8m-diameter pipeline is complete.
$100M of the stage 1 project budget has been spent locally, with around 200 businesses involved and 1,000 people inducted to work onsite.
Stage 1.1 works to extend the pipeline a further 330 metres across the Haughton River are complete, and the installation of approximately a further 3.8km of pipeline to connect from the Haughton River crossing is close to completion.
Stage 1 of the pipeline was funded by the Queensland Government, which provided $225 million to Townsville City Council to improve water security in Townsville – including $10 million for water education programs.
The Queensland Government has contributed $225 million to improve water security in Townsville.
- 30.04.2021 - Progress being made on second stage of Haughton pipeline
- 03.11.2020 - Design tender for stage 2 of water pipeline awarded
- 13.10.2020 - Further Industry briefings for stage 2 of Haughton pipeline
- 14.08.2020 - Industry briefings for stage 2 of Haughton pipeline
- 02.06.2020 - Stage 1 of Haughton pipeline project complete
- 11.05.2020 - Tenders called for next section of Haughton pipeline
- 17.02.2020 - New tender ensures water pipeline project continues to pump out jobs for locals
- 04.02.2020 - Pipeline passes pressure tests
- 17.01.2020 - Pipelines being laid for Townsville's future
- 11.12.2019 - Haughton pipeline reaches another milestone
- 01.10.2019 - Mayor praises selfless efforts of Water Pipeline contractors
- 26.09.2019 - Water Smart Package proves a big hit with residents
- 19.09.2019 - Statement regarding Water Smart Package outcomes
- 16.07.2019 - Water package launches jobs, smart water use across city
- 27.06.2019 - Another 20 jobs flowing from Townsville’s water pipeline project
- 25.06.2019 - 2019/20 Budget - Water security projects flowing in Council Budget
- 04.06.2019 - 200 jobs and $30 million flow from Townsville pipeline
- 01.05.2019 - Council endorses process to acquire easement along pipeline alignment
- 17.04.2019 - Another milestone reached on Townsville’s new pipeline project
- 06.04.2019 - Pipeline project returning to full swing
- 15.03.2019 - Work continues on Townsville pipeline project
- 25.01.2019 - Pipeline project boosting Townsville's advanced manufacturing
- 25.01.2019 - Up to 1000 local jobs to flow from pipeline
- 24.01.2019 - First pipes installed on Townsville's water pipeline project
- 16.01.2019 - Tunnel boring machine about to bite into pipeline project
- 21.12.2018 - Construction on pipeline project reaching full thrust
- 11.12.2018 - More new jobs flowing from Townsville’s new water pipeline
- 10.12.2018 - Townsville’s new water pipeline digging up more jobs for locals
- 07.12.2018 - Second shipment of pipes arrive in Townsville for new water pipeline
- 16.11.2018 - More jobs spouting from Townsville’s water pipeline
- 04.11.2018 - Pipeline funding commitments welcomed
- 01.11.2018 - 100 local jobs from water pipeline installation
- 22.10.2018 - Townsville's new water pipeline above board as first pipe shipment arrives
- 04.10.2018 - Local job opportunities spouting from pipeline project
- 29.08.2018 - Townsville's water pipeline - on track
- 21.08.2018 - Pipeline reaches next key milestone
- 07.08.2018 - Dozens of jobs flow from pipeline as Civil Works start
- 16.07.2018 - 50 jobs created after Council awards pipeline Civil Works package to local firm Mendi
- 26.06.2018 - Budget 2018/19 - Funding to flow for new water pipeline
- 02.06.2018 - More jobs to flow from water pipeline project
- 18.05.2018 - Pipeline construction and installation EOI's to open this weekend
- 03.05.2018 - Huge interest in council's next pipeline industry information session
- 27.04.2018 - Local firms encouraged to attend pipeline information session
- 26.04.2018 - Production to restart at local pipe manufacturing facility
- 24.04.2018 - Pipe tender for new water pipeline awarded to Iplex
- 18.04.2018 - Another key milestone for the $215 million water pipeline
- 04.04.2018 - Companies shortlisted for pipe supply tender
- 16.03.2018 - Local firms encouraged to attend pipeline information session
- 06.02.2018 - New pipeline tender
- 23.01.2018 - Council awards water pipeline contracts
As part of Council’s commitment to maximising opportunities for local businesses to participate in the project, between November 2017 and May 2018, three community consultation sessions were held to engage local contractors, sub-contractors and suppliers and encourage engagement with the 3-point water security solution.
Any queries relating to water access should be directed to Townsville Water directly via email@example.com
Keep up-to-date with handy tips and alerts before, during and after disaster events.