The Percivals 2020
In 2020, participating artists presented varied styles and approaches to the contemporary portrait - from abstracted images and conceptualism, to smooth realism and the energetic aura of thick, impasto oils executed with a broad brush and palette knife. These portraits told the unique story of every sitter, illuminating their aspirations and allowing us to gain an insight into their lives.
View the The Percivals 2020 catalogue
The Percivals virtual tour
- Use the tool in the bottom right corner to see different views of the gallery or move between floors.
- The artwork labels may take some time to load. Try moving off and back onto the circle a couple of times. The artwork labels can also be found linked below the virtual tour.
- Zoom in and out using your mouse or finger controls.
- Ground Floor (PDF, 1.0 MB)
- First Floor (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Animal Portrait (PDF, 645.1 KB)
- Exhibition Price List (PDF, 2.6 MB)
Winners of The Percivals 2020
Watch The Percivals 2020 Winners Announcement YouTube video
Watch The Percivals 2020 Judges Talk YouTube video
Read the Media Release
Percival Portrait Painting Prize
Jack Betteridge Costumed as an Elf: Don't F. with Me, Fellas! 2020
Acrylic on canvas
Percival Photographic Portrait Prize
Ben and Saki 2019
Digital print on Canson Baryta Prestige paper
Percival Animal Portrait Prize
The Percivals 2020 Painting Winner Artist Talk
The Percivals 2020 Photographic Portrait Winner Artist Talk
The Percivals 2020 Animal Portrait Winner Artist Talk
People’s Choice Award
The 2020 Percivals People’s Choice awards have been decided!
The winners in the two categories are:
Percivals People’s Choice Award – Painting
Jandamarra CaddPainting Nova 2019
Oil on canvas
Percivals People’s Choice Award – Photography
Photograph on canvas
Behind the Scenes
Townsville City Galleries were working hard behind the scenes to deliver you an amazingly curated exhibition.
Exquisite Portraits are part of The Percivals 2020 Exhibition. Click the right and left arrows on the following pages to swap the head, torso, and legs, creating your own exquisite portrait!