CBD Utilities Upgrade
The water supply network in parts of the Townsville CBD is over 60 years old and needs to be upgraded. With the increasing development of multi-storey residential and commercial properties in the CBD, Council is working to upgrade the water supply network to maintain water pressure to the increased number of buildings.
August 2017 Project Update
- 05.12.2016 - Night asphalting works to commence in CBD
- 11.11.2016 - Asphalt, night works for CBD
- 04.11.2016 - Stanley Street stormwater pipe repair almost complete
- 01.11.2016 - CBD Utilities Upgrade works power on
- 28.10.2016 - Stanley Street to close for stormwater pipe repair
- 27.10.2016 - CBD Utilities Project unearths large hole
- 12.08.2016 - CBD Utilities Project moves to a new phase
- 14.07.2016 - CBD Utilities Upgrade swings into action
- 27.01.2016 - Major utilities project to stimulate development and jobs
- 02.12.2015 - CBD Utilities Upgrade moves into Sturt Street
- 19.10.2015 - Big utilities project set to start in Townsville CBD
BMD are the Construction Management contractor.
Works planned in the CBD in the sceond half of 2017 are:
- Footpaths - ongoing upgrades to footpaths on Walker, Stokes, Sturt, Flinders and Stanley Street.
- Water reticulation - Flinders, Stokes, Sturt and Walker Street.
- Bulk water - Stanley Street between Hanran and Flinders Street.
- Bus route relocation, Sturt Street (between Stokes and Denham closed), alternative is Walker Street.
Images of works to date:
New footpath installation on Stanley Street - August 2017
New kerb, channel and footpath works on Walker Street - August 2017
Stakeholder engagement discussions and information sharing is ongoing through out the work program with utility and transport infrastructure providers, business, residents, body corporates, regulatory agencies and internal Council service providers
Project Work Region Maps
Indicative maps showing the planned CBD Utility Upgrade works (version 2, updated current March 2016) are listed in the table below.
To find out more information about the CBD Utilities Upgrade contact Mary Balfour MB. 0408 972 536, project email