CBD Utilities Upgrade
Townsville City Council is investing in improving water and waste water infrastructure for the future development of our city.
The installation of more than 18km of new water and sewer pipes throughout the CBD and sections of North Ward is now complete.
Currently, we have some minor 'finishing works' to complete in a number of areas through the city including line-marking and asphalt works.
It is envisaged that these works will be complete by the end of January, weather permitting.
- 05.12.2016 - Night asphalting works to commence in CBD
- 11.11.2016 - Asphalt, night works for CBD
- 04.11.2016 - Stanley Street stormwater pipe repair almost complete
- 01.11.2016 - CBD Utilities Upgrade works power on
- 28.10.2016 - Stanley Street to close for stormwater pipe repair
- 27.10.2016 - CBD Utilities Project unearths large hole
- 12.08.2016 - CBD Utilities Project moves to a new phase
- 14.07.2016 - CBD Utilities Upgrade swings into action
- 27.01.2016 - Major utilities project to stimulate development and jobs
- 02.12.2015 - CBD Utilities Upgrade moves into Sturt Street
- 19.10.2015 - Big utilities project set to start in Townsville CBD
BMD are the Construction Management contractor.
Works planned in the CBD in the first half of 2018 are:
- Footpaths - upgrades to footpaths on Sturt, Flinders and Denham Street.
- Bulk water – Flinders Street West and Ingham Road, West End.
- Water reticulation - Wills Street, Walker Street, Townsville CBD.
- Water and waste water - Southern end of the Strand.
Stakeholder engagement discussions and information sharing is ongoing through out the work program with utility and transport infrastructure providers, business, residents, body corporates, regulatory agencies and internal Council service providers
Project Work Region Maps
Indicative maps showing the planned CBD Utility Upgrade works are listed in the table below.
To find out more information about the CBD Utilities Upgrade contact Mary Balfour on 0408 972 536 or via email