CBD Utilities Upgrade
The water supply network in parts of the Townsville CBD is over 60 years old and needs to be upgraded. With the increasing development of multi-storey residential and commercial properties in the CBD, Council is working to upgrade the water supply network to maintain water pressure to the increased number of buildings.
April 2017 Project Update
- 05.12.2016 - Night asphalting works to commence in CBD
- 11.11.2016 - Asphalt, night works for CBD
- 04.11.2016 - Stanley Street stormwater pipe repair almost complete
- 01.11.2016 - CBD Utilities Upgrade works power on
- 28.10.2016 - Stanley Street to close for stormwater pipe repair
- 27.10.2016 - CBD Utilities Project unearths large hole
- 12.08.2016 - CBD Utilities Project moves to a new phase
- 14.07.2016 - CBD Utilities Upgrade swings into action
- 27.01.2016 - Major utilities project to stimulate development and jobs
- 02.12.2015 - CBD Utilities Upgrade moves into Sturt Street
- 19.10.2015 - Big utilities project set to start in Townsville CBD
- CBD Utilities Upgrade April 2017 Project Update (PDF)
- CBD Utilities Upgrade March 2017 Project Update (PDF)
- CBD Utilities Upgrade February 2017 Project Update (PDF)
- CBD Utilities Upgrade December 2015 Project Update (PDF)
- CBD Utilities Upgrade July 2015 Project Update (PDF)
- CBD Utilities Upgrade July 2015 Information Sheet (PDF)
BMD are the Construction Management contractor.
Works planned in the CBD in the first half of 2017 are:
- Stanley Street - sewer and stormwater installations
- Footpaths - upgrades to footpaths on Walker, Stokes and Stanley Street
- Flinders Street West - water reticulation, stormwater upgrades, new kerb installation, road resurfacing (Fletcher to Jones Street)
- Walker Street - water reticulation (Stanley to Blackwood Street)
- Bus stop relocation, Stanley Street - temporary relocation of bus stop on Stanley street to between Flinders and Ogden Street.
Echlin Street works
Blast activities are complete. Mendi Constructions undertook the work and have managed a blasting program throughout 2016 to remove approximately 340,000 tonnes of rock from the site.
Additional works have included extensive stabilisation of exposed rock faces. Council will store the excavated rock at various locations for reuse in future projects.
The rock spoil should all be removed from site by the end of February 2017
View the Echlin Street controlled blast
Stakeholder engagement discussions and information sharing is ongoing through out the work program with utility and transport infrastructure providers, business, residents, body corporates, regulatory agencies and internal Council service providers
The notes from the community information sessions held during 2015.
Region A - The Strand
Region B - Melton Hill and CBD East
Region C - CBD Central
Region D - CBD West
Region E - West End
- Evening (PDF)
Region F - South Townsville
- Evening (PDF)
Retailers and Transport providers
- 7 October Noon (PDF)
Region A, B, C, D, F
Project Work Region Maps
Indicative maps showing the planned CBD Utility Upgrade works (version 2, updated current March 2016) are listed in the table below.
To find out more information about the CBD Utilities Upgrade contact Mary Balfour MB. 0408 972 536, project email