Planning Approval

Before you begin development, it's important to find out whether you need approval, and what information is available on your property you need to help you. We've detailed the process for you below, but if you have any questions at all, please contact council.

The type of development you are proposing

There are several different types of development, each with their own application process. All types of development require you to consult the Townsville City Plan (planning scheme) in order to identify applicable codes and overlays, as well as details about the supporting information needed as part of an application, depending on the proposed development.

Development is defined as any of the following:

  • Carrying out building work (i.e. renovating a house located within the Character Residential Zone)
  • Carrying out operational work (i.e. placing an advertising device on a premises, or excavating or filling that materially affects premises or their use)
  • Reconfiguring a lot (i.e. a subdivision, or the amalgamation of lots)
  • Making a material change of use of premises (i.e. starting a new use, re-establishing a use that has been abandoned or changing the intensity or scale of the use)

To make a development application you must use one or both of the following forms, depending on your proposal:

  • DA Form 1: Use this form to make a development application involving code assessment or impact assessment
  • DA Form 2: Use this form to make a development application involving building work.

You will need to find out what type of development your proposal is categorized as, before you make your development application.

Getting information on your property

In order to find out what approvals you need for your development you will first need to gather key information about your property. This includes the zone, whether it is within a particular precinct, applicable overlays, and your site area.

You can find this information by accessing ePlanning, council's online planning service, and selecting 'Search my Property.' You can also use our City Plan interactive mapping service to find out about your area. Once you have your property report from ePlanning, you can read more about the specific development requirements in the Townsville City Plan (planning scheme).

What is ePlanning?

ePlanning is an online portal designed around the Townsville City Plan. ePlanning allows you to:

  • Find out what zones, codes and overlays apply to your property
  • Find out the level of assessment you can expect for your proposed development
  • Browse the Townsville City Plan
  • Search for and view an existing development application
  • Have access to Development Manual forms and checklists.

The level of assessment your development may require

Council assesses development under several application types. The application type of your development is dependent upon the type of development, overlays, precincts and site area, and affects the amount of approval you are required to seek from council. The different application types are listed below.

Infrastructure charges

Infrastructure charges are levied against developers by council when a development requires new trunk infrastructure or will put extra demand on existing trunk infrastructure. Trunk infrastructure is the network infrastructure that provides support to the Townsville area, and includes sewer, water supply, transport and parks. Your development application may trigger infrastructure charges, even if it is accepted development. For more information, visit our Infrastructure Charges page.

The type of approval you may receive from council

Certain types of development will require approval from council prior to the commencement of works. As such, it is important to know whether approval is required, and if so what type needs to be obtained. By using the 'Search my Property' function in ePlanning, you can find out what type of approval your development requires. Council also provides Limited and Full Planning and Development Certificates, information for which can be found on the Property Searches page, which outline any existing approvals that are still in effect over your property.

Types of approval

Council issues the following types of approval for development:

Other approvals you may require

If your development includes building works, you may require a building approval. Building approvals can be obtained from a Building Certifier.