Plumbing and Drainage

What plumbing or drainage work requires Council approval?

All plumbing work in Queensland is regulated by state government legislative requirements and is categorised as:

  • permit work
  • notifiable work
  • minor work
  • unregulated work

Only permit work is approved by Council. Information on permit work, how to lodge applications and the services offered by the Hydraulics Team is provided below. Further information on plumbing and drainage can also be found in our Plumbing and Drainage FAQs.

Services provided by Council

As constructed drainage plans

To request an as constructed drainage plan, please complete this online form. For more information, read our As Constructed Drainage Plans information sheet, or contact Council.

Other documents and certificates

As well as assessment and inspection of permit work, the Assets and Hydraulics Unit at Council also:

  • conducts physical inspections (report provided) of the condition of plumbing and drainage located at premises (pre-sale inspections)
  • offers searches of Council's electronic records of plumbing and drainage installations within a property (request a record)
  • supplies a consultancy service for plumbing and drainage related issues.

These services are provided at a competitive price. For more information on fees, refer to the Planning Services schedule of fees and charges.

Plumbing and drainage information and resources

Dial before you Dig

Dial before you dig is a free referral service for information on underground pipes and cables anywhere in Australia. Using Dial before you dig can prevent damage, disruption, injury, and even death.

Plumbing and Drainage Legislation

For more information and links to current laws and regulations, visit the Queensland Government's website.