Building Guidelines & Information Sheets
Council have a number of information sheets and guidelines in place to help you decide what you need to build or renovate your home.
Building certification involves an assessment of the proposed building work to ensure it is soundly designed and that it complies with current safety, health, amenity and sustainability standards required in the applicable legislation and the Building Code of Australia. For most types of construction work a 'building permit' or a 'decision notice' is required before any construction related activities can commence on site. A 'building approval', 'building permit' or a 'development permit for building works' can be obtained by engaging the services of a private building certifier.
It should be noted that a building approval is separate and distinct from a planning approval. A planning approval involves the assessment of the proposed works and/or use against the relevant local planning instruments to determine if the proposed activity is suitable for the area. You can find out what planning rules apply to your property by using our free online ePlanning service or you can find out more about the types of planning approvals by visiting our planning assessment page. Planning assessment is conducted by the Townsville City Council. If you are unsure if your proposed works requires a separate planning approval contact us or speak with your private certifier.
Under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 section 578 (1); it is an offence for a person to carry out assessable development unless there is an effective development permit for the development. The maximum penalty for this offence is $166,500.00. If you suspect that there is anyone engaging unauthorised activity you can report it council for investigation through our Development Compliance Unit.
Building guides and information sheets
- Building services frequently asked questions (PDF)
- Existing building applications (PDF)
- Dividing fences (PDF)
- Driveways and other works in the road reserve (PDF) (to accompany the application for the roadworks permit form)
- Requirements for work zones, scaffolding and gantries guidelines (PDF)
- Heritage and character housing information guide (PDF 2.54MB)
- Public amenities standard (PDF 2.54MB)
- Building Act 1975 (PDF 1.63MB)
- Building Fire Safety Regulation 2008 (PDF)
- Building Regulation 2006 (PDF)
- Building Units And Group Titles Act 1980 (PDF)
- Building Units and Group Titles Regulation 2008 (PDF)
- Sustainable Planning Act 2009 (PDF 2.29MB)
- Sustainable Planning Regulation (PDF)
- Neighbourhood Dispute Resolution Act 2011 (PDF)
Other website links
- Information on domestic swimming pool fencing
- Information on the Sustainable Planning Act 2009
- Information on the Queensland Development Code
- Information on How to resolve neighbourhood disputes
- Information on Building and Development Dispute Resolution Committees